There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

Great place to work if you want to be full time and don't mind working evenings and weekends.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Wage based strictly on hours worked and not performance.

Cons

Retail hours and shift work. Sometimes short staffed- esp. in evenings when it's busy. Do not seem to support anyone who has a family and wants to work part time. Min. for pt is 25 hours and I heard recently that they are enforcing that people in my dept. who are p/t work 5 days a week- isn't that full time??

Advice to Management

Part time workers are part time for a reason. If they wanted to be there 5 days a week they would be full time and receive the full benefits. Allow for more flexibility for people who make family a priority.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Keep looking, this isn't worth the trouble.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

- Decent starting wage - Benefits for part time workers - Managerial chain-of-command is respected (you don't get chewed out by multiple people for the same issue).

Cons

- Raises take forever for part-timers. (I'm up $1 from where I started after 2 years). - No premiums for night shifts. - Internal politics are very bad. - Workload is ridiculously uneven. - There is an undoubted "glass ceiling" for superior workers. The only people I've seen promoted were based off of "who they knew," not what they had to offer. Furthermore, in most cases, the workers promoted were sub-par workers who were moved because they did not meet requirements in a certain department despite more qualified people applying for the same position. I've witnessed this myself over 5 times now. - The management at the top (Corporate) does a fantastic job, however, most of the management at the bottom is ridiculously incompetent and horribly undertrained. This is especially true in managerial communication and social skills.

Advice to Management

Employees should be promoted based on skill. Whether that is the current policy or not, it doesn't happen. You should be much more selective when promoting managers; and include more communcation training.

2. Costco

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Stability and promotional opportunities Strong promotion from within

Cons

Operational philosophy that most employees start at the bottom discourages new college students

Advice to Management

Involve first line general managers opportunity to provide input on policy changes