Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gilroy, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Cotton On part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Discounts on the products - Fun environment to work in

Cons

- It's retail - You can get called in at random times - You have to deal with irate customers at times

Advice to Management

Don't have any advice. In the time that I was there, I thought management did an adequate job.

Other Employee Reviews for Cotton On

1. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cotton On full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, decent pay, good time off for full time employees

Cons

Low payroll, high tasking, all hiring is done at the corporate level

Advice to Management

There is no way that you can keep LP, merchandising, stock processing, and customer servicing in line with such limited hours. Nor is it safe to close only almost every night.

2. It's like Forever 21 but with even less character (it is possible)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Cotton On part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was my first experience in retail clothing, and for the size of the store and volume of customers, I learned a lot really fast that helped me when applying for other retail jobs. I think the discount was okay. The pay in Santa Monica was a dollar above minimum wage for a sales associate, which was nice, but they didn't help pay for parking which was in the realms of $10 a day. We did get hour long breaks, and we had a stock department. So not doing stock all the time or inventory was great.

Cons

The clothes and overall image of the company is to try to knock off and grab the most superficial "fashion" ideas from Forever, and U.O. The quality of the clothes is okay, but not great. The store is insanely cheap, which means the customers disrespect you and the store, and you will have to clean it all up. Upper management was the usual with retail- disinterested, finding ways of getting out of work, dramatic, and played favorites. Overall it was a bad experience, and getting too sucked into it made me lose track of other retail jobs that would have given me a better customer service experience and, I don't know, like a better feeling-about-my-life experience Met the CEO and staff a bunch of times. Extremely impersonal, didn't care to meet any sales associates or acknowledge them in any way. I got terrible vibes and I think that reflects in the company's overall soullessness

Advice to Management

Promote from within, form better work bonds with management and sales associates, train the management team on how to be professional with as much vigor as you train the sales associates to sell.