There are newer employer reviews for Cotton On

Factorie

I worked at Cotton On

Pros

-Great discount
-Awesome people to work with (some of them anyways)
-Meeting new people
-Clothes

Cons

Regionals can be very inconsiderate
its your fault if you dont make enough money
do not seem to understand the concept of sometimes people do not want to come into your store and buy clothes
regionals can be very two faced and nasty towards you
somewhat bullies
high turnover of staff due to being pressured into things that you do not really wanna do ie management roles, then becoming narky when your not doing AMAZING!
the pay

Start valuing your employees a bit more, Don't put so much pressure on them to make so much money, Actually have one on ones with them and don't have two faced, backstabbing regionals! Maybe pay the staff more and dont shove the vibe down our necks

135 Other Employee Reviews for Cotton On (View Most Recent)

A real Manager? I'll believe it when I see it

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Cotton On as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

- Staff discount
    - Career opportunities

Cons

- Unfair treatment of staff
    - Life outside of company not considered important
    - Lack of training for staff
    - Unrealistic expectations from higher ups
    - Little to no empathy or compassion from higher ups, staff highly disposable

My main issue was when our store was left without a Manager with little to no notice for 6 months.

The store was under the care of casuals, most of whom were still studying and/or had young children at home to look after. With no management training, we were expected to know all the ins and outs of the company, complete all necessay paperwork that we didn't know existed and perform duties we were clearly not qualified to do (i.e. Participaing in Management meetings, certain cash handling duties, writing rosters, visual merchandising).

In these 6 months, we went through 3 Regionals, and 4 other Cotton On branded stores in the same complex lost and received at least one new Manager each. The company was far too comfortable with untrained casuals running the store, and stress was very quickly building up in all team members. When the issue was brought up with our Regional, we were told we could easily be replaced by someone more willing to do their job- not only was I highly offended considering the amount of work we'd had forced upon us, but I found this very hard to believe, as at this point, it'd been 4 months and it didn't look like they'd even started looking for a temporary Manager.

Casuals are expected to run a store by themselves within their first 2 shifts despite minimal training- Managers were not given time or resources to train new staff and you are often left to run a store yourself on your very first shift for at least an hour, even if you don't know how to make a sale. Minimal training is provided for opening and closing procedures though all casuals are expected to attempt this on their own, with only the advice they've managed to reel out of their colleagues.

Most stores will only ever have one person working, which means if you're sick, you better just suck it up until the end of your shift. Once reporting that I felt ill in the middle of my shift, I was asked to describe in detail how sick I felt and why I couldn't just hold on for another 3 hours.

Regionals show little to empathy or consideration for staff- if you aren't hitting your target, you must be doing something wrong and you will be given a warning.

If you happen to be on the same wave length as Management and willing to blinding listen to them, you'll climb the ladder very quickly. If you're not, they will thrust Management duties on to you until you're an unofficial Manager in the eyes of any other company, minus the benefits, and if by then you still aren't willing to climb, you clearly don't belong.

- Your staff and humans with lives outside of the company- treat them well and they will work hard to help the company and share its ideals
    -Not everyone wants to climb the Cotton On ladder but if you stop treating them like disposable cogs in your machine, they will gladly smile and help you
    - Put some effort into training staff- give Managers the time to train a new staff member in store before leaving some clueless 17 year old for 4 hours and expecting them to make KPIs when they don't even know what that stands for
    - Not being able to get 20 email sign ups in an hour is not because your staff aren't trying, it might just be because literally 4 people have walked into the store in the last 2 hours

No personal growth

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Cotton On full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -my store manager and my team
    -cute clothes
    -dress code where you can wear pretty much anything.
    -work/life balance

Cons

For me, there was no growth in the company. SM and ASM's jobs might as well be a Key holder's job. Only difference is schedule making and approving time. And the difference of a key holder to an associate is pretty much just opening/closing the store and registers. Take a position lower than what you actually are, and that should really be your title. Our DM's responsibilities are what store managers should be doing.

Payroll hours suck. Monday-Fri expect only 16 hours of payroll used between two managers. I hated closing by myself. I didn't feel safe at all.

give more control to the people that are actually working in the store.

There are newer employer reviews for Cotton On