The first startup I have found that feels like a real family.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really smart people, regular work hours, in-house chef, amazing office space, travel stipend to visit other countries and use the product.

Cons

Lots of change (both in technology and personnel)

With any startup, there are tough decisions on how to grow the company to support new projects. If the current management team continues be honest about "change", then the company and product will continue to improve.

Other Reviews for CouchSurfing

A great idea going quickly down the drain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Group meals and fun office space.

Cons

Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men".

When I started, this seemed like the best job ever. Even in just the year or so that I've been here I've seen the company rapidly decline. Any sort of mission or vision focus has been completely erased. Most of the original people have quit or been let go through regular mass layoffs. Those who have managed to hang on to their jobs have learned to do whatever the head guy tells them to and not to ask questions. My job is no longer about making decisions or creating, it's about pushing buttons. I just hope I can hang on to it long enough to find a new one elsewhere. There's no passion here any longer.

I hope the Couchsurfing community finds a way to survive with CS or without.

Best of luck to you. I hope I can leap frog onto the next job before you fire me.

Best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

...was coming to work for Couchsurfing.
    The people Couchsurfing attracts are dedicated, intelligent, optimistic, hard-working, professionals who want to change the world for the better, and have a positive outlook reflective of that desire.
    This means that people here are aligned in our mission to facilitate people all over the world to connect in meaningful ways, by creating the best tool possible for doing so.
    Open, frank communication is the norm among the staff, including upper management.
    We all know each other, and eat meals together every day.
    Management creates opportunities for learning and growing into new positions for those with aptitude and drive. They are clear with staff about deliverables and job performance expectations, and make every effort to facilitate us reaching our goals.
    We work collaboratively. I feel my experience and input here is valued.
    It is fun! People here laugh a lot, and care a great deal about what we do, and who is affected by it.

Cons

The transition from the Couchsurfing of yesteryear to what Couchsurfing is now has been intense. Having been through several iterations of this organization's business structures, I can say that, as difficult as the staff, site, and communication changes have been, this organization, and the community that is persevering, is going to be better off for the changes, Dramatically so.
    However, in this crucial period, the multiple challenges of supporting our members in their endeavors, creating the most amazing site possible for them, maintaining our dedication to the safest and healthiest community of sharing individuals, and communicating about all of these things effectively is a real challenge. Exciting and daunting every day.

Keep doing what you're doing: reaching out to individual members with experience who believe in what we're doing and take their advice, being diligent in taking the global perspective and considering all of the factors when making decisions, working collaboratively with your whole staff.

There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!