CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

Dynamic, performance-based workplace that's finally gaining momentum

Product Team Leader (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCouchsurfing has (finally) completed planned lay-offs of low-performing staff and is now picking up a huge amount of momentum. The company is moving at the speed of other consumer internet startups: using Agile-ish processes to iterate quickly against clear, high level strategy from an experienced, intelligent, well-liked, and well-respected leadership team.

I'm an experienced, choosy product leader and I could get a similar job at many well-known consumer internet startups. But, like I said, I'm choosy. I wanted to work with an experienced management team in part because I'm tired of working for young men with no experience and a lot of entitlement.

I've never worked with a leadership team that I liked or respected more than the current leadership of Couchsurfing. The engineers are curious, skilled, flexible, and happy. The community team is also fantastic; walking that very difficult line between tactical and strategic communication with a well-established userbase.

The pay, perks, benefits and culture are awesome. I've spent many super fun nights out with my coworkers, who are now some of my closest friends. I'm honored to work with these people every day working to connect people across the world.

ConsThere's a ton of work to do to repair the relationship between the company and the community of Couchsurfing. Couchsurfing (the company) has a history a poorly thought-out products and mismanaged communications when it was run by the (recently laid off) original staff. If you work at Couchsurfing you'll spend quite a bit of time dealing with the legacy product, which for experienced product designers and developers can be a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving.

Empowered and encouraged to be creative

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: Couchsurfing is a small startup with a very passionate userbase that have had life changing experiences through Couchsurfing. The company is currently totally redeveloping the… Cons: In contrast to most startups, Couchsurfing has been around for nearly 10 years. During this time, the website became quite outdated and dysfunctional, and the… Advice to Senior Management: Push hard, stay focused, and keep the vision of a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A different world — now in turbo mode

I have been working at CouchSurfing

Pros: You get stuff done. A LOT of stuff. Extremely results-oriented; what matters is what you accomplish. Politics is at an absolute minimum, or maybe even zero. Incredibly low-drama… Cons: People absolutely get fired. Not arbitrarily; it's uniformly either for lack of skills or because the way they work is ineffective for the organization, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!