CouchSurfing
www.couchsurfing.org San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Empowered and encouraged to be creative

San Francisco, CA

ProsCouchsurfing is a small startup with a very passionate userbase that have had life changing experiences through Couchsurfing. The company is currently totally redeveloping the entire website, along with its mobile apps, giving employees a unique opportunity to solve complex problems while having the freedom of creating new solutions.

All of the teams and employees are empowered to come up with solutions, with management acting as good mentors and guides. I've found all of the management very easy to talk to, and always open for feedback.

My favorite part about working at Couchsurfing is seeing the company working on new and better technology to solve problems the community has been dealing with for many years. I'm excited for the world to see a modern Couchsurfing service that makes it easier for members to have amazing experiences.

ConsIn contrast to most startups, Couchsurfing has been around for nearly 10 years. During this time, the website became quite outdated and dysfunctional, and the community's relationship with the company started to sour. The current Couchsurfing staff are remaking the entire website, while also rebuilding and repairing relationships with some of the long-time members.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush hard, stay focused, and keep the vision of a better Couchsurfing in the minds of everyone

A different world — now in turbo mode

I have been working at CouchSurfing

Pros: You get stuff done. A LOT of stuff. Extremely results-oriented; what matters is what you accomplish. Politics is at an absolute minimum, or maybe even zero. Incredibly low-drama… Cons: People absolutely get fired. Not arbitrarily; it's uniformly either for lack of skills or because the way they work is ineffective for the organization, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A great idea going quickly down the drain

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: Group meals and fun office space. Cons: Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men". When I started, this seemed like the… Advice to Senior Management: Best of luck to you. I hope I can… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CouchSurfing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CouchSurfing CEO Tony Espinoza. All reviews posted anonymously by CouchSurfing employees.