CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org
  www.couchsurfing.org
There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing

A different world — now in turbo mode

I have been working at CouchSurfing

Pros

You get stuff done. A LOT of stuff.
Extremely results-oriented; what matters is what you accomplish.
Politics is at an absolute minimum, or maybe even zero.
Incredibly low-drama team.
Eyes are all on the ball…everybody's aligned towards a common goal — of building an amazing Couchsurfing.
People get fired. It's weird to say this as a "pro", but every company ends up hiring people who don't really fit. In the long run, it's far better for them to end up leaving than to have dead wood all over the place.
Everybody who's there absolutely, genuinely believes in Couchsurfing. It's more than just a job. It's about what Couchsurfing is and what that can bring to people around the world, not about making money.

Cons

People absolutely get fired. Not arbitrarily; it's uniformly either for lack of skills or because the way they work is ineffective for the organization, but it definitely happens. (See this under "pro", above, too.)
The culture has changed absolutely enormously over the past few years. It's gone from a community that was amazing to be a part of for personal connections and for the sheer fun (travel around the world, with your friends, having fun!) to a company that's amazing to be a part of because it gets stuff done — and there are still lots of amazing people there.
That transition was extremely painful to some, and some took it deeply, deeply personally. But it's an inevitable fact in the transition from a travel-around-the-world commune that happened to also run a website to a high-speed startup mentality.

28 Other Employee Reviews for CouchSurfing (View Most Recent)

The first startup I have found that feels like a real family.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, regular work hours, in-house chef, amazing office space, travel stipend to visit other countries and use the product.

Cons

Lots of change (both in technology and personnel)

With any startup, there are tough decisions on how to grow the company to support new projects. If the current management team continues be honest about "change", then the company and product will continue to improve.

A great idea going quickly down the drain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Group meals and fun office space.

Cons

Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men".

When I started, this seemed like the best job ever. Even in just the year or so that I've been here I've seen the company rapidly decline. Any sort of mission or vision focus has been completely erased. Most of the original people have quit or been let go through regular mass layoffs. Those who have managed to hang on to their jobs have learned to do whatever the head guy tells them to and not to ask questions. My job is no longer about making decisions or creating, it's about pushing buttons. I just hope I can hang on to it long enough to find a new one elsewhere. There's no passion here any longer.

I hope the Couchsurfing community finds a way to survive with CS or without.

Best of luck to you. I hope I can leap frog onto the next job before you fire me.

There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing