Hire and fire

Current Employee - Mobile Applications Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Mobile Applications Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros

The couches in our giant sky-lit office in San Francisco are comfy.
Top-of-the-line medical, dental, and vision. 100% company-sponsored for employees. 50% for spouses and dependents.
Extra time off to surf on members’ couches and experience Couchsurfing firsthand. Travel expenses.
Equity stake in a start-up that’s already had eight years of success as a former non-profit. And a salary that rewards my creativity.
Free healthy lunch, dinner, and snacks. Friday happy hour. Caffeine on tap. Safe parking for bicycles. Weekly ping pong turnaments. No dress code.

Cons

There's no strategy and no vision. A lot of stress and panic lately, resulting in last minute cancellations. If they don't fire me soon, like most of the people who worked here when I started, I'll have to quit before I go crazy or get an ulcer.

Start telling the truth and listen to our customers.

Other Reviews for CouchSurfing

What was once a user-centric, hospitality-driven trusted community is quickly turning into just another travel website

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the people who work at CouchSurfing are wonderful, but leadership leaves much to be desired. Members of CouchSurfing are extremely passionate and committed; that kind of consumer engagement is hard to come by. That said, many of the most engaged members have become disenchanted and frustrated with recent changes to the website, and some of the best community leaders are leaving the site.

Cons

I agree with another reviewer who said that this has turned into a hierarchical organization run by a culture of fear. There have been several rounds of layoffs in the past 18 months, with little to no explanation given. Highly skilled and talented people have chosen to leave. CouchSurfing is losing its soul.

It's one thing to talk about having a strong culture, and another thing to practice what you preach. Diversity in perspectives, skills, nationality, background makes a team stronger, not weaker. Finally, I worry about safety issues when you have men in many countries who perceive CouchSurfing to be a dating website.

On your toes

Current Employee - Programmer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to learn to change directions at the the bounce of a ping pong ball, catering to whims and about faces and general directionlessness, fixing what you broke yesterday by tearing it down tomorrow, CS is the perfect place for you. Adaptable people who can pretend to be working, offering fake contributions while praising today's fad and criticizing it tomorrow once "management" has decided to flip the coin again, will be mush appreciated.

Cons

What's to complain about? Now that the old staff has been tossed in the gutter, the cream of indecisiveness has taken the helm. They are so decisive they can go left and right at the same time, while falling backwards. It's a bit tiresome pretending to be an idiot, and while the food is free, it's a bit monotone.

Change management.

There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!