CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

The biggest 180 I have ever witnessed a company take

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- The people you work closely with on a day to day basis are phenomenal. They are fun, they feel like family, and most everybody is bursting at the seams with talent.

- The free lunches and dinners you share with your coworkers are better than anything you could possibly get at a nearby restaurant. The main chef is extremely talented and tries very hard to meet the wildly varying dietary restrictions of the employees.

- The office space is *incredible*. Very open and cozy, very anti-cube, completely lit by the sun through the skylights during the day. It's a fantastic building, and has been seriously decked out to be a wonderful place to spend your working days.

Cons- I can not even begin to stress these three words enough: *Culture Of Fear!* Senior management actually uses the phrase, "If you are not excellent, you will be fired" in the *new hire orientation!* ...I can't make this stuff up, folks.

- They have fired *many* talented individuals with little to no notice in recent months. Almost all of the people fired have been the "old-timers" who had a very strong and passionate love for what Couchsurfing has historically stood for and meant to its community members.. which is far from a coincidence.

- Senior Management claims that the grass roots, "meaningful connections" culture that CS was founded on is still the vision, but it feels as genuine as record company executives claiming that they're in it for the art. There appears to be no interest in the community as a collection of individuals who have shared amazing experiences through this service - instead the loyal community is viewed as data points for future monetization, and really nothing more. It would be foolish to think that a company would never have financial interest in mind, but it is a sad day when Couchsurfing has also lost its heart.

- There used to be cork bulletin boards on the walls, with countless postcards from members thanking Couchsurfing for changing their lives and being a positive part of their experiences.

All been taken down.

There used to be art on the walls, and posters which inspired you to "live your dream, and share your passion."

All been taken down.

*Why* make such a bold and drastic statement? It speaks volumes to the fact that management isn't even *pretending* to the employees that they care about the culture anymore. It's worse than apathy, it's rubbing it in our faces.

Advice to Senior Management-- Don't remove the art and inspiration from the walls. It shows your true colors.

-- Listen to your community. They know what made Couchsurfing special, and you clearly do not.

-- Stop firing talented people who actually care about Couchsurfing. They will add more value in the members' eyes than all the trendy Rails development in the world could ever dream about.

-- Couchsurfing can have a heart without jeopardizing your equity value. If you TRULY do your best to keep Couchsurfing's soul alive, the value (both monetary and otherwise) of the company will soar higher than you could ever imagine.

Hire and fire

Mobile Applications Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: The couches in our giant sky-lit office in San Francisco are comfy. Top-of-the-line medical, dental, and vision. 100% company-sponsored for employees. 50% for spouses and dependents. Extra… Cons: There's no strategy and no vision. A lot of stress and panic lately, resulting in last minute cancellations. If they don't fire me… Advice to Senior Management: Start telling the truth and listen to our customers. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

On your toes

Programmer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: If you want to learn to change directions at the the bounce of a ping pong ball, catering to whims and about faces and general… Cons: What's to complain about? Now that the old staff has been tossed in the gutter, the cream of indecisiveness has taken the helm. They are… Advice to Senior Management: Change management. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!