There are newer employer reviews for Counterpoint Systems

It was a job. Great co-workers and culture were lacking...

I worked at Counterpoint Systems

Pros

Very flexible company at the time Good technology used inside Good business model although may need to be revamped Intelligent senior management

Cons

Deaf senior management Times have changed and the business model that got them to the top isn't sustainable Culture needs serious work

Advice to Management

The review process for employees and bottom up performance reviews of managers needs improvement. Hire better talent i.e. work on the hiring process.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work for motivated individuals who are self-starters!

Former Employee - Applications Consultant (Business Analyst) in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant (Business Analyst) in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great employees! I loved working with everyone in the LA office and I miss the day to day interactions with my co-workers. Always fun to share in the inside jokes and go to lunch with your direct managers. - Lots of Freedom. Being an App Consultant gives you the freedom to take charge and make an immediate impact. A lot of the negative reviews stem from past employees who were expecting to be told what to do. This is the place where people make things happen. - Interesting Work. The applications that you were on are interesting and complex. Every client does something slightly different so trying to figure out how to fit the square peg in the round hole makes coming to work in the morning a new adventure. - Great Leadership. It's fun knowing that the Lead Application Consultants are knowledgeable and are easy to work with - Dedicated Developers. They are based in the UK and are some of the best. They are hard working and they cut out all the fluff and get straight to the point.

Cons

-Poor Project Management. Counterpoint has struggled over the past year in hiring talented project managers. Right before I left, it appeared that things were starting to turn around but there is still a long way to go. - Process Confusion. At times, it is difficult for the consultant to know what to start work on because tasks have not been properly set up and signed off by the client. This is mostly due to poor Project Management. - No Requirements Tracking/Formalized Requirements Process - The consultant primarily create one-off specs for all change requests. These usually get the job done but because there is no system use cases or requirements tracking, certain changes happen without realizing the full system impact.

Advice to Management

- Hire better Project Managers or promote Senior App Consultants to Project Manager positions. - Train newly hired Project Managers through some sort of standardized new PM program. Could include overview of the system, expectations for the position, admin, reporting, etc. - Re-vamp the requirements project. I proposed a request to our internal system before I left so implementing something along those lines would go a long way towards helping future app consultants

Employee Turnover Says it all

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry They "let me go" after 90 days (with all sorts of HR oriented, totally fabricated reasons) and I found the job of my dreams. Thanks for being a weird bunch of fickle jerks. Much appreciated.

Cons

Miserable People working for a Miserable company... a 19th century software company. I will say that most of the people I respected at all have left along with the people who were oddly entrenched although they seemed like they'd be capable outside this odd little island on the West Side... The most horrible office atmosphere I've ever seen. In the interview executive management expressed how excited they were to have someone of my experience... And then I had to train myself on complex and sometimes convoluted software that I was expected to be able to "demo" after a week. Nuts. Employees that remain appear to be the super incompetent ones.

Advice to Management

None. They've all flown the coop. Good for you.