Countrywide Financial

It Deserved to Fail

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

In certain divisions, there used to be a lot of growth and promotion opportunity. Compensation was very uneven, but some people were paid extremely well, especially relative to their skillset and contribution.

Cons

Too many to enumerate. Across the board, the physical and social environment is very uncomfortable. Social conversation is discouraged, and there is extremely little privacy, so it is difficult to form strong working relationships. There is a serious lack of ability and failure to manage people.

Put people first. Take a semester-long ethics class. Get rid of the 3 foot tall cubicles.

82 Other Employee Reviews for Countrywide Financial (View Most Recent)

scheduled breaks - "what time do you pee?"

Current Employee - Negotiator II Home Retention Division in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Negotiator II Home Retention Division in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

benefits if you can stand to stay long enough to qualify for them.

Cons

micromanagement and lack of respect for employees - no one in my department smiles or seems happy to be doing their jobs. we are supposed to be in the business of helping people and no one cares because they are so miserably controlled by management and the Aspect time management system nightmare. even long term employees are unhappy with this department and most are unhappy with the departments they came from. not a good recommendation.

1. get people off of the Aspect time micromanagement system. you are turning everyone into clock watchers who are afraid of non-compliance for missing their pathetic 10 minute scheduled break. it interferes with a normal natural work flow.
    2. give us casual fridays. what is the big deal? we don't have face to face interaction with our customers.
    3. don't make employees, especially new employees you recruited because you disparately need them, feel like you don't trust them at all.

One of the worst companies in finance

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The fact that you get paid regardles of whether you do a good job.

Cons

This is one of the most nepotistic companies I've seen. People advance here by sleeping with people in power. There is no reward for going above and beyond. Instead, the firm prefers to institute a culture of fear and scare people into performing their jobs for low cost. The corporate bureaucracy wastes money and ties the hands of line managers. Many senior managers throughout the organization only care about their own pocketbooks and are therefore disingenuous with their communications. It could be due to incompetence, but that's equally pathetic.

Stop chasing money and pay attention to the bloated infrastructure you've allowed to develop.

There are newer employer reviews for Countrywide Financial