There are newer employer reviews for Countrywide Financial

Politics is high. Hard work not consistently recognized or even recommended.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Large company with many different perspectives and varying degrees of talent and skill to learn from.

Cons

Those in cushy positions are sometimes impossible to deal with.

Advice to Management

Politics is inevitable in any environment. However some of this should be monitored and the skill-experience-compensation relationship should be baselined to make sure those with valuable skills are compensated accordingly.

Other Employee Reviews for Countrywide Financial

1. Intellectually challenging but intense and often competitive work environment

Former Employee - Managing Director in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Calabasas, CA

Pros

If you're smart and willing to seek new challenges/responsibilities, you'll often get them. Networking is key - who you know (and who likes you) matters.

Cons

Long hours, tight deadlines, unrealistic expectations from executive management - all of these things are a factor in the day-to-day environment (not just once in a while.)

Advice to Management

Listen to your in-house experts, especially the ones who don't agree with everything you say. They likely know more than you do and are probably right.

2. Working at the Plano office of Countrywide

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

The only reason I would ever want to work at Countrywide again would be the fact that they got bought out by Bank of America. The company name "Bank of America" would be a good stepping stone for people to move into smaller companies with better pay.

Cons

I could go on forever about how terrible this place was. The managers never had any work to do, yet they tried to act like they were really busy. The same went for most of the employees here. We were given lots of "drive around the parking lot" work. I felt like I was becoming dumber every day I went in. The work that we were given was hardly ever challenging. The salary and bonuses were also terrible. I would avoid this place at all costs. Bank of America made a dumb move in acquiring this run down company.

Advice to Management

Cut down the number of VPs and SVPs you have in the company. A 3 to 1 employee to manager ratio is just ridiculous.