Good pay, poor culture

Former Employee - First Vice President  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - First Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Good pay compared to peers and responsibilities in other mortgage banks. Varied opportunities to try different careers in the organization.

Cons

Basically, a cowboy culture combined with nepotism. Long hours, no work/life balance once you moved pass VP title.

Review the corporate culture and start living the values it is supposed to represent.

Other Reviews for Countrywide Financial

Intellectually challenging but intense and often competitive work environment

Former Employee - Managing Director  in  Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

If you're smart and willing to seek new challenges/responsibilities, you'll often get them. Networking is key - who you know (and who likes you) matters.

Cons

Long hours, tight deadlines, unrealistic expectations from executive management - all of these things are a factor in the day-to-day environment (not just once in a while.)

Listen to your in-house experts, especially the ones who don't agree with everything you say. They likely know more than you do and are probably right.

Working at the Plano office of Countrywide

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The only reason I would ever want to work at Countrywide again would be the fact that they got bought out by Bank of America. The company name "Bank of America" would be a good stepping stone for people to move into smaller companies with better pay.

Cons

I could go on forever about how terrible this place was. The managers never had any work to do, yet they tried to act like they were really busy. The same went for most of the employees here. We were given lots of "drive around the parking lot" work. I felt like I was becoming dumber every day I went in. The work that we were given was hardly ever challenging. The salary and bonuses were also terrible. I would avoid this place at all costs. Bank of America made a dumb move in acquiring this run down company.

Cut down the number of VPs and SVPs you have in the company. A 3 to 1 employee to manager ratio is just ridiculous.

There are newer employer reviews for Countrywide Financial.

Worked for Countrywide Financial? Contribute to the Community!