Fiddling while Rome Burns

I worked at County of Sacramento

Pros

Line staff and colleagues were great. - mutually supportive to get things done.

Cons

Upper Management and the policy weenies tended to get in the way and a great deal of time and energy was necessary to work around them.

Trust your staff, get them the tools an resources they need to do their jobs, get out of the way and work with them rather than against them.

Other Reviews for County of Sacramento

Some Nice People all Bad Management

I worked at County of Sacramento

Pros

There are some great and really enthusiastic employees that work for the County. They are the backbone that do all the work for the County. The benefits are great especially dental and retirement plans.

Cons

The management does not care about increasing an employee's skill level. They are afraid that smart employee might pass them up and take their job away.

Value your day to day employees and management less. I know my department would have run a lot smoother without a supervisor.

court investigator

Former Employee - Family Court Investigator  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Family Court Investigator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time for less than a year

Pros

They provide great training. You can flex time if you are caught up on work. I found that I worked with an excellent team of co-workers who genuinely care about each other. I don't have much to say when it comes to pros.

Cons

It is impossible to ever catch up or keep up with work-load; no time left to recharge and often have to work weekends without pay (overtime;, stressful job because there just isn't enough time to do the minimum on a case to ensure fair decisions on cases that affect peoples lives.

To be more aware of the cases an employee currently has before adding more. Utilize a buddy system so employees can work together on the tasks involved for each case. Everyone has different strengths and should be able to use them to benefit the agency and employee satisfaction. It would be better for the community if cases were assigned to teams who worked as a unit on each case from beginning to end. There is too many disruptions involved in cases being transferred from one worker to another. The teams can work on more than one case at a time; but the stress would be reduced on the workers because there would be a built in support system. There is so much work to do that people don't even have time off with their families. Unless you make it to a management position which seems impossible. People want to do a good job and be successful; however, they are set up to fail from the beginning. One person can only manage so many cases at a time. If they are unable to retain employees then the system will remain forever broken for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for County of Sacramento.

Worked for County of Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!