County of San Diego

www.co.san-diego.ca.us

I survived it for 20 years.

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are different programs to pick from, Haz Mat, Land Use, Food & Housing. Which program you choose to work will have a direct impact upon your job satisfaction. Also, your job happiness will depend upon your own individual goals. It you just want a job, you most likely will be content in any of the programs. If you are career oriented, stay OUT of the Food & Housing program. As I spent 17 of my 20 years with the Food & Housing program prior to transferring to Haz Mat, my comments will be directed toward the Food & Housing.
Nice people to work with here. The job usually entails your being out on your own in the field.

Cons

As stated above, nearly all the people in this program and pleasant. On the downside, the majority of those who work in this area are just idiots. They have no idea of what their job function is, or the laws governing it. The comments and questions they ask during staff meetings can make a sane person want to bang their head against a wall. If, in their minds something isn't right, they will write it as a violation regardless whether it is illegal or improper. The majority need to be constantly reminded of what the laws and dept policies are. If you posses half a brain and have any feelings of self worth, you'll stay OUT of this program. Promotions are not based upon ability, but upon how enthusiastic you appear to be.

Learn the rule of law(s) for what it is you're suppose to be enforcing. Review the work of staff, make sure they are complying.

Other reviews for County of San Diego

So far I have really enjoyed working for the County

Current Employee - Student Worker  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in San Diego, CA

Pros

Super flexible with Student Worker schedules, you get county holidays off, good experience for students

Cons

Student workers are not eligible for benefits, only able to work 90 days past graduation date and you must take at least 12 units every semester to remain employed

Allow more promotion for student workers. Although I feel I am gaining good experience, I feel like there is not a high probability of being employed full-time after graduation.

Generic Interview, 2 on 1

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Stable job, unionized, multiple departments and locations to work in

Cons

Extremely difficult to promote/transfer. They can involuntarily transfer you elsewhere, crappy hours, slow to implement new technology, wasteful of paper and valuable resources, incompetent supervisors and Managers. Employees and supervisors always out sick, lack of accountability and discipline.

Discipline worthless and incompetent employees who call in sick everyday, promote from within the county before hiring outside the county, stop placing preference on bilingual employees that can't speak english very well, implement stricter safety measures to protect employees.

There are newer employer reviews for County of San Diego.

Worked for County of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!