County of Sonoma

www.sonoma-county.org

County of Sonoma- Mixed Emotions, but overall positive.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsWorking for the County of Sonoma has many positive benefits similar to working for any County government. You get 15 minutes breaks every hour and generally supervisors are very lenient and understanding. One of the best things is that since the County is such a big employer that there is some security associated with that. Additionally, there are a number of good but not great support services that are offered like a number of career training classes, web help, and much more. Also, taking time off never seems to be a problem and there is not the added pressure of deadlines quite like there is in the private sector.

ConsWhile working at the County level can be rewarding at sometimes there are many small aspects that can be a bit frustrating. For one, the pace of all the bureaucracy can get very frustrating. If you are in a position that has to get things out you may be waiting on other government entities that seems to take their time getting things done. The next biggest problem that I have is that you have to political correct many times. You are working in a county government which is one of the most political sensitive areas to work, however this depends on which office you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy more open to new ideas and the future. One of the most frustrating aspects not mentioned above is the slow pace at which change is adapted in the County system. Overall, there are a few managers that have started accepting things like flex time, but do to the county's rigid structure many managers are reluctant to do this. Another great example is attire and work place atmosphere. At my office we try and display a high level of professionalism which means no music during the day and shirt and tie everyday except Fridays. Overall Senior Management really varies from which office is the County you work for.

County of Sonoma

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at County of Sonoma

Pros: Great Benefits. The hours are reasonable and management can be… Cons: Budget problems and no room for growth. Advice to Senior Management: Create opportunities for people to develop and grow. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Poor Management skills

I have been working at County of Sonoma

Pros: relatively secure, consistent hours, decent benefits Cons: middle management needs training in basic management skills. Advice to Senior Management: train your middle managers how to communicate honestly and treat… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on County of Sonoma.

Worked for County of Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!