Covance

www.covance.com
  www.covance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Very rewarding. Science and helping health outcomes for people are cutting edge.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Very exciting industry. Client interaction is always very postivie. We are solving health problems world wide. It is very rewarding.

Cons

Some decisions made by our clients are out of our control. Poor study results may force a customer to change it's mind on pursuing a drug in development and that affects our forecast for the future as well.

Senior level relationships with industry are key. Keep making those strategic deals that are awin/win for all parties involved... customers, employees and the communities we live in.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance

Pros

people there are great and the environment was very much friendly

Cons

travel can be very extensive

Decent pay comes at a price.

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Anyone who says Covance's ITC pays little compared to other jobs either dumb or lying. The company provides its ITC employees with excellent benefits: 401k, tuition reimbursement, decent PTO and pay are the benefits worth noting.

Cons

The perks do come at a price, however. For instance, the opportunities for advancement are determined by who you know and what you know; any attempt to progress your career through hard work and dedication will result in you being exploited, not compensated. I have never experienced cronyism quite to this degree before. The cronyism is very overt in the supervisor position; I surmise it is probably rampant in the upper echelons of management, but more clandestine.

Resulting from this errant promotion system is incompetent supervisors with no sense of delegation or respect for employees. I have personally witnessed many humiliating supervisor diatribes targeted at the direct reports because of project errors. However, the information about any updates is very poorly conveyed. Moreover, belittling employees by lambasting them for your poor management skills does not provide the proper encouragement for corrective action; in fact, it is demotivating.

Be introspective: look at how the company is internally organized and managed in the lower ranks, and make the appropriate changes.

Stop hiring temps. Temps are not given any motivation to produce: they are paid less than permanent staff, yet paid significantly less.

Revert the office building back to its original, office-style set up. Currently, the eighth floor is arranged to look like an Indian call center. While touted as a method to occupy more workers, it also signifies to those sitting in the sea of desks that they are insignificant to the companies success. A method of social control and repression on behalf of upper management.

There are newer employer reviews for Covance