Covance

Covance - Get ahead by Working or get through by Slacking

Current Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance

Pros

The opportunities for advancement at Covance are numerous. The work schedule in my department is very flexible. I have been promoted and rewarded in recognition of the work I have put in over the years. I work in a laboratory setting and have all of the equipment and instrumentation I need to do my job effectively. I can generally purchase anything I need easily. There are many different personalities present, so finding someone that you "jive" with is not too hard. It seems that there is an increasing rate of turnover, so being promoted or taking on new responsibilities is easy to do.

Cons

Depending on the department that one works in, there is a huge discrepancy between acceptable and unacceptable work ethic. Because of the increase in turnover, the quality of the work performed varies greatly between those who are competent and those who struggle with their "duties". I cut my teeth in an environment where supervisors and management would be on the prowl for people not doing their job. The attitude at Covance is much more laid back and it is conceivable that someone could do no work in the course of a week or more, and a supervisor would have no idea.

I think the management in my department would benefit greatly from having a more active involvement in the course of work that takes place right in front of them. It is my opinion that they think everything is going great since most of the work gets done, most of the time.

328 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Stay 3 years, get experience, and move out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Covance

Pros

I really geniunely like my coworkers. The workplace and the attaire requirements are pretty informal. People genuinely want to do a good job, and tend to overcome any obstacles to make sure that things are done correctly and ontime. The benefits (health, 401k, dental) are top notch, which makes it very difficult to want to leave this company. The company also really does some amazing work. Very few people get to go home at the end of the day feeling like they've done something for humanity - Covance employees get that opportunity. Benefits and coworkers are the best reasons to work for Covance.

Cons

In the past three or four years, Covance has increased the number of rooms, facilities and workload. The senior management was not well prepared to handle the increase in work. They did not adaquately staff and, as a result, exisiting employees were left to carry out a higher workload than anticipated. This resulted in a number of challenges to staff: errors, stress, unhappiness. There are two additional facilities that are expected to come "online" in the next 3 years, but internal recruitment for those facilities has failed miserably. Senior management has required that staff interested in transferring laterally to the new facilities must go through interviews for the positions that they currently hold. Additionally, relocation packages are not discussed until after the interviews. This makes it impossible to judge whether you really would be interested in moving, and wastes both the interviewer and interviewee's time.

The biggest complaint would be that management has no idea what their staff does on a daily basis. They have a tendancy of changing or adding tasks without ever thinking through how the new process will be accomplished. They need to start understanding what their product is and how it is being delivered.

Company definitely should be looked at.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Covance

Pros

Covance gives you great work life balance. The people are very friendly and hard work is recognized. Great CEO and HR. The company gives you great opportunities to move to higher level positions. They provide great training and also give out bonuses.

Cons

Needs better competitive pay.
    Needs more diversity. The the pay was more competitive Covance would be an amazing place to work at because you feel good when coming to work.

Hire more people, Hire more young people.

There are newer employer reviews for Covance