Pleased so far. with Early Clinical-CRA

Current Employee - CRA II-ECD in Madison, WI
Current Employee - CRA II-ECD in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time

Pros

Interesting Work
Enjoyable Co-Workers
Little Manager Oversight
Plan your own Schedule
Excellent Flexibility in Travel Arrangements
Too much work for the present staff=opportunities to step in and learn new skills
Current director does make an attempt to understand the workforce and effectively represents employees for positive change.

Cons

Same for all regional monitoring positions.
Lots of travel
60+ hour work weeks
Project management and operations management like to ping pong issues so neither has to resolve them

Advice to Management

Call the current senior director of operations for ECD. She understands how to make employees feel valued and that their needs are being considered. I have read the other reviews here and that seems to be a missing component among upper management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- PTO time isn't bad (of course, that assumes you can actually take time off without getting grief from your project leads)
    - Some managers allow work at home

Cons

As my title states- overall the worst job I've ever had (and that includes retail jobs I worked at in high school!). Some of the key issues:
    - Poor management. Example- after 6 months, employee asked their manager if they had any input on their performance. Manager gave employee a blank stare and said "Well, I don't really work with you on any studies.".... Manager was actually the project lead assigned to supervise 2 of the employee's studies.
    - Occasionally abusive management. I have seen more than a couple people practically (or actually) in tears after getting screamed at by their manager or project leads. Some people called on the carpet in front of clients without prior notice, which is just ridiculously unprofessional.
    - Appallingly poor training. I have never worked at a company with such a scatter-shot training program.
    - Slow path to advancement in some departments. Several good employees in my department have been leaving because they were frustrated with the promotion process. You need to serve a 2-year minimum "sentence" - it does not matter how well (or how poorly) you work.
    - Good workers are slammed with work and others (namely, pals of management) slide. Some people spend most of their day screwing around, while others have to work overtime just to keep up.

Advice to Management

TRAINING!!
    - Teach your managers how to manage- some of the managers that want to try, don't seem to know where to begin
    - Train your staff on how to do their jobs rather than just berate them when they don't meet your (unclear) expectations

Ok place to get experience under your belt

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Covance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great people to work with, free coffee, challenging projects, cool instrumentation

Cons

Poor leadership, too much work and not enough people, too many meetings, fearful of failing assays, lengthy chain of custody processes

Advice to Management

Moral was going down the tubes when I left. Management changed too much, team layouts changed too much, no room for advancement really. The last 3 years I worked there only got less than 2% annual raises which did not kick in until July, total joke.