Covance

There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Too much outsourcing!!

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Princeton, NJ
Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Covance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a pleasant work environment, flexible schedule, and overall nice people to work with. Good pay and benefits as well.

Cons

Too much outsourcing - I had worked there for 5 years and every year they were outsourcing a new department. Otherwise, it is very bureaucratic, hard to get things done without approvals from 10 different people.

Stop outsourcing! It is not the answer. A lot of the functions that have been outsourced have been failures. Sometimes it is most valuable to keep things in house.

328 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Gone downhill

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working remotely, benefits, PTO, Bonus

Cons

Lack of company culture, greediness, male dominated funnel

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- PTO time isn't bad (of course, that assumes you can actually take time off without getting grief from your project leads)
    - Some managers allow work at home

Cons

As my title states- overall the worst job I've ever had (and that includes retail jobs I worked at in high school!). Some of the key issues:
    - Poor management. Example- after 6 months, employee asked their manager if they had any input on their performance. Manager gave employee a blank stare and said "Well, I don't really work with you on any studies.".... Manager was actually the project lead assigned to supervise 2 of the employee's studies.
    - Occasionally abusive management. I have seen more than a couple people practically (or actually) in tears after getting screamed at by their manager or project leads. Some people called on the carpet in front of clients without prior notice, which is just ridiculously unprofessional.
    - Appallingly poor training. I have never worked at a company with such a scatter-shot training program.
    - Slow path to advancement in some departments. Several good employees in my department have been leaving because they were frustrated with the promotion process. You need to serve a 2-year minimum "sentence" - it does not matter how well (or how poorly) you work.
    - Good workers are slammed with work and others (namely, pals of management) slide. Some people spend most of their day screwing around, while others have to work overtime just to keep up.

TRAINING!!
    - Teach your managers how to manage- some of the managers that want to try, don't seem to know where to begin
    - Train your staff on how to do their jobs rather than just berate them when they don't meet your (unclear) expectations

There are newer employer reviews for Covance