Covance

www.covance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Gone downhill

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working remotely, benefits, PTO, Bonus

Cons

Lack of company culture, greediness, male dominated funnel

346 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- PTO time isn't bad (of course, that assumes you can actually take time off without getting grief from your project leads)
    - Some managers allow work at home

Cons

As my title states- overall the worst job I've ever had (and that includes retail jobs I worked at in high school!). Some of the key issues:
    - Poor management. Example- after 6 months, employee asked their manager if they had any input on their performance. Manager gave employee a blank stare and said "Well, I don't really work with you on any studies.".... Manager was actually the project lead assigned to supervise 2 of the employee's studies.
    - Occasionally abusive management. I have seen more than a couple people practically (or actually) in tears after getting screamed at by their manager or project leads. Some people called on the carpet in front of clients without prior notice, which is just ridiculously unprofessional.
    - Appallingly poor training. I have never worked at a company with such a scatter-shot training program.
    - Slow path to advancement in some departments. Several good employees in my department have been leaving because they were frustrated with the promotion process. You need to serve a 2-year minimum "sentence" - it does not matter how well (or how poorly) you work.
    - Good workers are slammed with work and others (namely, pals of management) slide. Some people spend most of their day screwing around, while others have to work overtime just to keep up.

TRAINING!!
    - Teach your managers how to manage- some of the managers that want to try, don't seem to know where to begin
    - Train your staff on how to do their jobs rather than just berate them when they don't meet your (unclear) expectations

Principal Investigator/Study Director

Former Employee - Principal Investigator in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Principal Investigator in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and hardest working people work at Covance. The companies biggest assets are the people. Vacation and heath benefits are very good.

Cons

Top heavy company, management is selffish and not trained well for the job. The goal of the company is to find supervisors and managers who do not know daily activities, tasks or science. Their role is to "manage" people. Performance reviews are meaningless and unfair. People are chosen arbitrarily every year for improvement plans that allows the company not to pay out a bonus or increase salary.

Wake up senior management and change strategy. There are too many zeros in your ranks! No one tells the truth and each manager muddles through until they get moved or promoted. The company is broken. You use your employees until they are burned out. You expect them to work late, early, weekends holidays and then you kick them during annual review time. The good managers leave the company our take demotions just so they don't have to the dirty deeds.

There are newer employer reviews for Covance