Covance

There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Illusions of possible growth

Former Contractor - Research Associate in Washington, DC
Former Contractor - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Covance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Most people there are great and there is a lot of teamwork,

Cons

Lets start with this: during my midyear review I was told I was doing an excellent job and my production level was 150% but that if I wanted to go anywhere I needed to do 200% of what was expected. Management is the worst I ever worked for, people get promoted into supervisors after serving less than a year or a year at most if they know how to suck up, they lack scientific knowledge and it causes a lot of issues.When you start, they tell you how much potential for growth there is. There is not - the better worker you are the less likely they want to promote you because they are entirely revenue driven and they do not want to loose a work-horse. I actually accidentally overheard management decision not promote someone into a non-revenue generating position because they did not want to loose on the revenue. For a huge company they are very small minded, micromanaging and discouraging. I have worked in other CRO labs before and since moved on to another company - Covance by FAR is the worst I ever worked for. The only thing I miss is the coworkers whom you build a comradery with under the abuse of the management.

Get on with the times, invest in some new technology and automation, promote scientists into management - not slave driving uneducated rubes. Your turn-over is highest I ever seen. That should tell you something

367 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Glad to have moved on

Former Contractor - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Information Technology in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Covance as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Worked with a few solid co-workers

Cons

Little/Strained communication, Pointless or inefficient process to get things done (If even possible), average employee morale is low, turn over rate, massive nepotism.

I saw more than once brand new employees/contractors walk straight out the door, the same day or first week they started; insane since the background check takes so long to complete. There is little guidance or care for employees here, this needs to change.

It's all politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful city, fun coworkers (for the most part), opportunity to explore a variety of jobs within drug development (sales, project management, lab work)

Cons

Management, employee recognition, senior leadership doesn't understand what is happening in each department

Listen to your employees. Don't look at numbers/budgets and make decisions, actually talk to the department directors before deciding on actions. The best part of my job was the people who I worked with, not the people that I worked for.

There are newer employer reviews for Covance