Covario
www.covario.com San Diego, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Company lacks focus and many employees are poorly paid

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario

ProsThere are a lot of attractive lady folk working here, as it's mainly an online marketing company (not a software company as Russ, the CEO, led me to believe during the interview process). The employees are generally fun to be around and enjoy their lives outside work. The building the is pretty nice.

I was paid well enough but many of my coworkers were underpaid and working there because of either lack of experience or the tough job market in their relative position.

ConsAfter seeing the stuttered progress on the development side, the lack of consistency/redundancy/knowledge on the production side (basically 2 guys doing all the work, dealing with weak infrastructure and pathetic budget), and the sad state of online marketing (not just Covario) I was ready to leave.

Speaking of pathetic budgets, company events were generally low budget and normally based on kcikbacks from other companies. All the employees I knew that were outside of the SEO, dev, and QA were paid VERY poorly. Like they might as well work at Home Depot or something. But the company has no problem getting new hires as there are thousands of marketing grads coming out of all the colleges in San Diego every year. The founders take advantage of these hungry young job seekers.

After a few months of working there I saw what was going on and started looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company seems to lack focus, like the Execs are soul searching and bouncing between software development, online marketing, and website SEO consulting. They act like their is a master plan that incorporates all three, but it seems like all three of those areas are suffering because the company doesn't have the man power to support them all.

Figure out what you want Covario to be. Work towards that single focus. Right now, if Google coughs Covario gets pneumonia. That's a big problem, and highlights a flawed business model.

not the best choice for a career,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Covario

Pros: People are friendly and willing to help. Cons: Management is kind of disorganized and not very structured. As an intern it really depends on who you… Advice to Senior Management: Have more communication between middle management and entry level associates so there is a basic understanding of what should be improved on and what may… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Swimming with the sharks

I have been working at Covario

Pros: If you don't break, if you emotionally survive the politics, the work load and the feeling of being under appreciated,… Cons: I personally like to work with people who are passionate about what they do, but the only thing the executive team is passionate about is… Advice to Senior Management: Show a little more respect to your employees, and not only by buying breakfasts… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Covario.

Worked for Covario? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Covario reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Covario CEO Jeff Johnson and Mike Gullaksen. All reviews posted anonymously by Covario employees.