Covario

www.covario.com
  www.covario.com
There are newer employer reviews for Covario

Company lacks focus and many employees are poorly paid

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covario

Pros

There are a lot of attractive lady folk working here, as it's mainly an online marketing company (not a software company as Russ, the CEO, led me to believe during the interview process). The employees are generally fun to be around and enjoy their lives outside work. The building the is pretty nice.

I was paid well enough but many of my coworkers were underpaid and working there because of either lack of experience or the tough job market in their relative position.

Cons

After seeing the stuttered progress on the development side, the lack of consistency/redundancy/knowledge on the production side (basically 2 guys doing all the work, dealing with weak infrastructure and pathetic budget), and the sad state of online marketing (not just Covario) I was ready to leave.

Speaking of pathetic budgets, company events were generally low budget and normally based on kcikbacks from other companies. All the employees I knew that were outside of the SEO, dev, and QA were paid VERY poorly. Like they might as well work at Home Depot or something. But the company has no problem getting new hires as there are thousands of marketing grads coming out of all the colleges in San Diego every year. The founders take advantage of these hungry young job seekers.

After a few months of working there I saw what was going on and started looking for another job.

The company seems to lack focus, like the Execs are soul searching and bouncing between software development, online marketing, and website SEO consulting. They act like their is a master plan that incorporates all three, but it seems like all three of those areas are suffering because the company doesn't have the man power to support them all.

Figure out what you want Covario to be. Work towards that single focus. Right now, if Google coughs Covario gets pneumonia. That's a big problem, and highlights a flawed business model.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Covario (View Most Recent)

not the best choice for a career,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Covario

Pros

People are friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Management is kind of disorganized and not very structured. As an intern it really depends on who you work under, but there isn't a good solid training system that is provided resulting in uncertainty over responsibilities and learning.

Have more communication between middle management and entry level associates so there is a basic understanding of what should be improved on and what may be wrong. There needs to be more structure in middle management and communication among others is the best. The work environment is somewhat socially awkward.

Swimming with the sharks

I have been working at Covario

Pros

If you don't break, if you emotionally survive the politics, the work load and the feeling of being under appreciated, you should be ready for anything in your career. It's a good school to learn how to swim with the sharks.

Cons

I personally like to work with people who are passionate about what they do, but the only thing the executive team is passionate about is making the big bucks; they are not shy about it either, I've heard it time and time again.
    The company has no long term focus. They finally admitted to being an agency but continue building on a poor software platform in a attempt to acquire intellectual property and increase valuation. The result is a high turnover on the agency side because the teams are highly understaffed while money is dumped on the software side.
    There is also a severe lack of competent mid management. Individuals are promoted for the wrong reasons which leads to too many layers of hierarchy, and not enough people to do the actual work. There is a serious lack of mentoring and leadership at every level of the company. Don't expect to receive guidance or support from your direct manager, you're on your own.
    Voted one of the best companies to work for in San Diego?? That's called marketing...

Show a little more respect to your employees, and not only by buying breakfasts and snacks. Minimize the politics across departments and the layers of useless hierarchy unless.

There are newer employer reviews for Covario