Stuck in neutral

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Covenant Care as a contractor

Pros

Wonderful co-workers who help and encourage each other.

Cons

Too much micro-managing. Not enough confidence in their employees strengths . Too many hidden agendas at C management level.

Advice to Management

Let go of "Mon & Pop" mentality. Utilize expertise effectively when experts are brought in. Evaluate capabilities realistically.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

No support for employees

Former Employee - Therapist
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at Covenant Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair benefits and pay but not worth the stress.

Cons

Micromanaged for employes by manager and no management of managers by higher ups. The manager where I worked insisted on unpaid overtime, working through lunches, swore at employers and would rant and rave about who he didnt like, including his manager, but would brown nose her when she was around. I attempted to talk to area manager about these problems and was blown off. She didnt even want to hear any complaints because I think she thought there was money to be made with the managers system.

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees and listen to what the employees are saying and not just the manager. Check into high turnover rates and find out why they are quitting.

2. Typical Rehab Work

Current Freelancer - Speech Language Pathologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Speech Language Pathologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covenant Care (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees do seem to care, even managers. There didn't seem to be favoritism or cliqueishness, but as a PRN, no one was very friendly either. There's always some reward in helping patients. They do seem to get some people up, out and to home once rehab is completed. iPad documentation works well. Better than working for Genesis or Rehabcare.

Cons

Same old pressures for SLPs - doctors will always oppose whatever you suggest. You will have to work with inappropriate long term care residents "because the doctor said so". There seems to be increasing pressure for those Medicare minutes and $$$$. There's no way to be ethical and treat who they want you to treat and log the minutes expected to maintain productivity. Bottom line, this is my last SLP job. I'm changing careers. I have come to the realization that SLPs should never have been made the arbiters of swallowing disorders. ENTs and their PAs should do it - that way maybe doctors and families will actually listen. As it stands now, in all these rehab jobs, SLPs are the red-headed step-child - no resources, no support, no appreciation whatsoever.

Advice to Management

None. It wouldn't matter if I did anyway.