There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

Great culture and people at Cox

Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, team atmosphere, ability for growth and continued higher education. I really enjoyed my tenure with Cox Communications.

Cons

The company is risk adverse - not willing to take calculated risks. Not leading within the industry. Although a top 5 MSO, Cox has been taking the lead from several of the other MSO's such as Comcast and Time Warner.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees but stay abreast of what is going on within your specific area. Remove HR from making the critical decisions and running the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications

I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs

Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL
    Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

During the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

Cons

The biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free. Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

Advice to Management

I've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money). Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.

Keeping my job for the Insurance benefits

Current Employee - Sales Support Administrator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Support Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits including pension and 401k options

Cons

Lack of job security. Extreme stress to perform.

Advice to Management

Honest communication with employees would reduce stress.