There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

An OK company, just know what you're getting into (Especially Tech Support!)

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, I like the people I work with, Diverse workplace, decent pay,

Cons

Constantly changing procedures, last to market technology, poor customer focus, micro management, consolidation pitfalls.

This is a company going through many changes. Anyone who works in Technical Support (as well as other departments) knows this all too well. The keyword here is Consolidation. By the time this is posted, many employees have already lost their jobs because Cox is consolidating many areas of its operations. I was one of the lucky ones who's system remained a tech support system, but many here in other departments lost their jobs when we consolidated with another system. While this makes perfect business sense, and and can't fault the strategy, keep this in mind if you are applying for a position with Cox.

If you apply for a Technical Support Representative, you must know what you're getting into. This is now a SALES position. They may not tell you how important that is, but believe me, it is. Let's put it this way- I now have a SALES MANAGER. (If you are in tech support and don't have one now, you will.) Your technical expertise is not valued nearly as much as your ability to sell. And it shows. I tracked my calls one day, and found out what I suspected- 40% of the calls I took were to either correct a problem the first rep didn't solve or correct a problem that was created by the company itself. And this was not an abnormal day. When I first started working at Cox, I was hired because I was fresh out of technical school, had customer service experience, and badly needed a decent job with benefits. If you have any technical aspirations, the only way to advance in that area is to go to a larger system and wait, or be willing to move. Your technical expertise is not valued in this department. Also know that tech support is a hard job to begin with- you deal with a lot of angry customers who are technically illiterate, or just plain rude. And also that Cox has some very suspect ways of dealing with that. Some of their procedures for dealing with customers is inexcusable, and become worse and worse as time goes on. I say this because if you're a front line "customer facing" employee (tech support, sales, retention), this will effect you a lot. There is a sense of "well that's the way we do it, and if they don't like it, too bad for them." We had a certain technical issue for 6 months, until they finally acknowledged that there was a problem. It is more than frustrating when you have to deal with that and also know there is no good answer. Also know that this and other departments are very rigidly stats oriented, and those stats change constantly and they have not figured out how to track those stats accurately. This is a common complaint among co-workers in several customer facing departments.

There are some good things about Cox. They are community oriented, the benefits are good, and I most of the people I work with are pleasant and professional. And it is a truly diverse workplace. It's not just lip service. At my location, they handle personal, non-work related issues well.

My biggest problem is that the position is no longer acceptable to me. It is time to move on. I wrote this review because if you're considering this company, and particularly a tech support position, you need to know what you're in for.

So here is what is required for want to apply for a Technical Support Representative position- if you have customer service experience, can handle a very high volume of calls ( their goal is to never have a moment when your NOT talking to a customer-BTW you will more than likely work 4 -10 hour days-nice to have 3 days off, but that is a VERY long day constantly taking calls), if irate customers don't faze you, you have a LITTLE technical know how, and most importantly, know how to,or are willing to SELL, SELL, SELL, then a COX Technical Support Representative will work out fine for you.

Re-think your procedures for your customers, Strive to lead in technology, (for example, your Whole Home DVR System is a joke) better prepare to implement the changes that are obviously coming and how that impacts ALL of your employees and customers.

655 Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications (View Most Recent)

I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs

Former Employee - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

During the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

Cons

The biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free.
    Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

I've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money).
    Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.

My experience with Cox was Favorable.

Former Employee - Tier II in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Tier II in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family like environment with fellow co-workers.

Cons

Slow Advancement opportunities. Limited training available.

Listen to your employee's good advice can be obtained from them.

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications