Cox Communications
www.cox.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs

Triple-play Installation Technician (Former Employee)
Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsDuring the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

ConsThe biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free.
Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

Advice to Senior ManagementI've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money).
Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.

My experience with Cox was Favorable.

Tier II (Former Employee)
Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Family like environment with fellow co-workers. Cons: Slow Advancement opportunities. Limited training available. Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employee's good advice can be obtained from… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Has been great, future uncertain

Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great benefits, generally good culture and good people. The company has great ideals and… Cons: Currently they are undergoing a shift from a generally distributed structure to a more centralized one. There is great… Advice to Senior Management: Articulate your "true" long term strategy to deal with the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Cox Communications.

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cox Communications CEO Pat Esser. All reviews posted anonymously by Cox Communications employees.