There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs

Former Employee - Triple-play Installation Technician  in  Ocala, FL
Former Employee - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

During the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

Cons

The biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free.
Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

I've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money).
Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.

639 Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications (View Most Recent)

Great company for whom to work, but wish they would be a bit more in the fore front of innovation.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere and the lower and middle management are really accessible. Once you are hired Cox is very loyal to you as an employee and really tries to treat you well.

Cons

Difficult to advance, a lot of times it's more about who you know and brown nose rather than ability.

Focus on HFC and Fiber advancements and opportunities rather than pie-in-the-sky things like wireless.

overall good place to work

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time

Pros

hours, salary, benefits, bonus, location

Cons

management, carrier developement and oppurtunity

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!