There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

Started out great, ended up a joke

Former Employee - Customer Retention Representative in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great office, open door policy with managers.

Cons

Although there is an open door policy with managers your feedback is listened to but not acted upon. When I first started it was great, felt secure in my job daily, made good money, great atmosphere. That steadily changed after they started firing everyone and micromanaging everyone to death. I guess the managers were trying to justify their bloated salaries? I'm not sure what they did outside of bring in donuts on Saturday's anyways. Basically on the retention floor, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. It's crazy the what reps will do and be rewarded for it, and then others will be fired. Silly job, silly management. Also, when about 25% of the sales floor is out on LOA for "stress" you might have a problem.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, your product sucks and ATT is literally lapping you right now. Cox internet is the only viable product to offer. Also, the company spent BILLIONS to launch wireless? Good call on that one!!! What person that makes millions a year couldn't foresee problems with cut rate phones and only 3G service? Seriously, you guys look like idiots. The people at the top should be fired, but instead you pass that along to those who take your orders. It's a joke.

Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications

I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs

Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL
    Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

During the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

Cons

The biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free. Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

Advice to Management

I've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money). Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.

Great company for whom to work, but wish they would be a bit more in the fore front of innovation.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere and the lower and middle management are really accessible. Once you are hired Cox is very loyal to you as an employee and really tries to treat you well.

Cons

Difficult to advance, a lot of times it's more about who you know and brown nose rather than ability.

Advice to Management

Focus on HFC and Fiber advancements and opportunities rather than pie-in-the-sky things like wireless.