Cox Communications

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

One of the BEST

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cox employees are empowered to make things happen. You see a problem, fix it! Your boss will appreciate it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling your superior that you think something is broke. The chances are, they have never seen the issue from your perspective, and your input can make a big difference. Cox loves to hear from it's employees and listen for their input.

Cons

Very sales driven environment. There are many groups with a tremendous customer centric focus who want to do what's best for the customer but their hands are sometimes tied by the need to put sales first. You can't be a customer focused company if you do not build the support and engineering groups to correctly manage the volume of sales. It's the customer who suffers because your support teams are spread too thin. It's tough to stay on top of the workload.

Balance your teams - you can only run a motor at full power for so long before it burns out. Management need to size the operational side of the company to meet the demands of the customer - this will improve time to market, customer satisfaction and will drive referral sales

730 Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications (View Most Recent)

What to expect at Cox Call Center

Former Employee - Retention in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Retention in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits. Free-ish cable and internet. 95% of co-workers are very good to work with. Free coffee and water!!!!

Cons

The matrix for pay is bad. If you take a lot of call then you lose a lot of revenue. Anything over 800 calls or the 100% tier you will lose $$$ no matter what you do(If you work in retention never never never go to far over 100% tier). If you don't get over about 800 calls you will be warned but you have to try. They are always experimenting with the pay scale so get ready for confusion. They just made huge pay changes in 2012 and when I was arriving a mass exodus was taking place because of the 20% reduction in pay across the board. If you take a break to go to the bathroom anytime outside of your designated 15 minutes you are questioned. Where did you go? Then you get the statement that "we're all adults here", which means hold it until break time. Same company politics as most large companies. They don't win any awards for best companies to work for. The prices are about $50 more per month then the competition for 3 services. Most people keep the internet because it's pretty fast compared to century link but they are very expensive. Lan Lines are on their way out and so you sit all day trying to keep people from cutting off their phone. Capitalism will start to drive down their overall prices here pretty soon.
    The direct supervisors have easy jobs and get paid tons of $$$. They are just there to apply pressure like any other sales manager. Some take their job serious and try to help others grow. They promoted a woman from the Hispanic department at low level phone position to a supervisor in retention over several highly qualified individuals with many more years at Cox then she had. So anything is possible if....nevermind I'll stay away from that one. But a lot of reps and middle management who were in line were not happy about that move. It hurt the moral of the floor.
    If you work in tech support you will be asked to work from home. If retention it will take at least a year to get the chance to go home and work. There is a lot of turnover in the sales department on the phones and as supervisors. They're hustlers in the sales dept and the retention department get to fix the issues and take the revenue losses. There is tension between all the departments. In retention, expect to make about 2k-4K per month on average. Base about $15 + commission. Base will never go up because of performance or time on the job. You will get a 3% cost of living bump each year. Get ready for ICOMs the worst software since the computers were created. They are trying to make it more user friendly but it's like putting lipstick on a pig, you know what I mean. I see a lot of people who have been at Cox for a long time but that was the old Cox. It's changing like most large companies and it's not for the better. If you can find another job making 2-4K a month I would take it instead. Growth in the company is difficult unless you're a . .......... Nevermind I'll stay away from that one again.
    Lastly the application process can take a long time. The HR department seems to be lacking competency. So be patient. I think the guys on the truck really like their job. Reps in the business sales department can crack 100K a year if you work like crazy. I'm not sure about billing dept sorry. Store sales are tough but you can expect 2-4K a month as well. I hope that gives you an idea. I wrote more cons because the recruitment team will give you all the pros I'm sure.

Every call over the 100% tier is $2 out of your pocket and if you don't make it to the 125% tier then its $4 dollars per call. Any who does the math would never want to get more calls. Why not intensive more calls more $$$? Reps need 2 screens

Lots of COX no Communications

Current Employee - Network Engineer in West Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in West Warwick, RI

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company car , coffee machine on every floor .

Cons

Management is the cons , Does not know the job their staff, Cannot help staff succeed , will not pay for training to help staff succeed .

Get training , your title is doing no good you need to understand what it means

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications