There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hourly pay & commissions were very good. Benefits were excellent. The Team environment was like family. The team leaders were very personable.

Cons

They were always changing the commission criteria. Sometimes they changed it in the middle of the month.

Advice to Management

Keep employees who are doing their job happy and you will have better results!

reviews filtered by

Technical Support Rep

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers in tech support, everyone is very helpful, friendly, and like to keep positive - no drama. The supervisors are all great people. Great benefits. They love feeding us. If you have patience with all sorts of customers troubleshooting isn't too bad.

Cons

Too much stress now on meeting sales instead of the job title of tech support. I really enjoyed working here at the beginning in July 2012, but within the past few months the rules have changed and I feel like I'm only valued if I install a new product.

The sales goals and time adherence do not feel rational to keep up with each month. A lot of customers calling into tech support already have cable, internet, and phone. If they don't, they more often decline to add because they say they either cannot afford it or they are more focused on their real reason for calling, which is to fix their issue.

Another aspect to the sales focus is that employees get praised just for keying a new product install. This could mean you're installing services again for someone who had a non-pay disconnect or they are transferring to a new address. When workers key these orders they are praised for making a sale, when really it just landed in their lap. If you weren't lucky enough to have one of these instances during the month and weren't able to convince a customer to add a new product you're left feeling like you're doing your job wrong or not trying hard enough. I've received kudos weekly from customers who thought I did a great job troubleshooting and went out of my way to help them, but in the end that isn't the goal anymore.

The role as a tech support rep is enough as things change every day here, so adding sales is too much. I'm looking for other work as I'm tired of having sales jammed down my throat.

Advice to Management

Take the sales focus away from tech support. We want the job in tech support to help people and problem solve. It's too stressful with the new rules that were activated this past month. I don't like feeling like I'm not doing a great job/am going to loose my job if I try all month and wasn't able to sell something.

Amazing company to work for--don't take it for granted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including severely discounted or free services, Decent Pay, Pension, 401k matching, and generous PTO to truly allow for work/life balance. Unlike other reviewers, I have found that Cox DOES hire from within (I was promoted twice within my first three years). Keep an open and positive communication line with upper management and you will go far. Volunteer with Cox Charities to network outside of your functional group and get involved in your community.

I have been a frontline agent, a supervisor, and an individual contributer and have seen many employees leave the company due to minor frustrations just to beg to come back. From what I've heard, the grass is not greener on the other side. I'm proud to work for a company that cares so much about its employees!

Cons

With consolidations and structure changes, it can be difficult to get new programs approved and receive reports on existing programs.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek advice from frontline employees who are the closest to our customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications