Cox Communications

Still a top 10 place to work within our industry

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Career growth, flexibility of schedule and the open cubicle enviornment promotes cross departmental conversation. If you are truly interested in career advancement, then the door is wide open at Cox. You are allowed the liberty to build your organization from the ground up. Peer to peer information sharing has increased in the past couple of years.

Cons

sometimes there is a failure to communicate internally from department to department which has a negative impact on how we are viewed by our customers. Redirection of the current mindset of the frontline would be beneficial as well. There's a lot of complacency and no sense of urgency for beating out the competitor.

narrow down or eliminate some of the tools to become more efficient. there are a lot of useful tools but unfortunately many of those tools do not interface with each other which causes a duplication of work.

703 Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications (View Most Recent)

We are the most trusted provider in America!!

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

It is a fun job to have because Cox believes in rewarding its employees when they pull to the task and get the job done. There are great people who are in leadership and who work side by side with you.The pay and the benefits are really good. Cox also believes in giving back to the community.

Cons

The job can sometimes get really stressful because if a customer can't get the results they are looking for, they blow off all of their frustrations out on you. It feels like you have to cover for previous mistakes that other personnel has made or contractor sites have made to protect the image of the company.

Keep doing a great job and throw us a party every month!!

Used to be a top company with coveted jobs - I pity the front line employees

Current Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Large enough company to basically support economic swings, but too focused on perceived numbers rather than actual sales and subscriber projections.

Cons

Revolving door of middle management - no consistency in policy from region to region. In 2 years, I've seen 9 directors fired, demoted or leave in just one location. Compare that to 4 years ago when there was only 1 director that left. This is not about performance, it's about politics and the ever-changing VP regimes and local managing directors. There is a new one of either approximately every 9 months and they install the non-performing management from their previous system. Esser can't see this and it's a significant factor in low employee morale, increased turnover, and subscriber churn.

Appreciate and value your front line employees - they are your lifeblood and bread and butter. Your first line of contact with your biggest asset - your customer - cannot be made to feel insignificant and easily replaced. Treat them with respect and dignity and they'll deliver. When you change your salesforce commission structure every 60 days (and not based on production or local market conditions) to avoid paying good money to top performers, morale will drop, sales will drop and because management doesn't see constantly toying with an employee's income as detrimental, management enters the revolving door. This in turn creates turmoil within the system and the deadly cycle starts all over.

There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications