There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

Good money for a serving position

Current Employee - Server  in  York, PA
Current Employee - Server in York, PA

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

Pros

When I was a server at the Cracker Barrel, I rarely made less than $10 an hour in tips, plus the $2.83 hourly base pay. Shifts went by quickly, and the customer turn-around was very quick. I rarely felt overwhelmed, as each server allowed a very manageable number of tables.

Cons

At times I felt the management was incompetent, and that the store would be better run by someone who has worked there a long time, rather than managers who undergo training for that position only.

Listen to your employees. Chances are they have been working there longer than you, and know what they are talking about.

500 Other Employee Reviews for Cracker Barrel (View Most Recent)

average place to wait tables...

Former Employee - Server  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

flexible schedule
    they promote from within
    frequent pay rasies
    some opportunities to be traveling trainer or crew trainer
    NO tip outs to a bus boy, host or bartenders (because there isn't a bar)

Cons

teamwork is stressed. so stronger servers do more than weaker ones.

bills are low there, you have to make money by table turnover

since they dont' have a bar, you aren't going to be learning anything about beer, wine and liquor that would benefit you at other restaurant.

There are too many servers on the floor too often.

Employees are at the Bottom of the Barrel

Former Employee - Server  in  Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Server in Milford, CT

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly easy job
    Fun co-workers
    Easy commute (at least for me)

Cons

Disorganized, rude and uncaring management
    Understaffed kitchen with lazy and miserable cooks
    Horrible tips due to the slowness of the kitchen

I was a server in the mid to late 1980's. Enjoyed it so much that a year after I had my first child, I thought I would waitress on the weekends to earn some extra money. Cracker Barrel was/is right up the street from my house, so I figured what the hell. Besides, they had an ad in the local paper clearly stating that they were desperate for "weekenders". Get to the interview and the hiring manager hires me on the spot, not caring that I haven't waitressed for over ten years. Not such a big deal, since it's not that difficult of a job to learn. I clearly state that I am looking to work weekends only. The hiring manager is nodding and smiling, telling me that they really need weekend help. Ten minutes later she's asking me what days I would be available during the week. Again I state that I can only do weekends at the present time and if this is going to be a problem, let me know now. No, no ... Not a problem. A week goes by and when I check the schedule, I am scheduled for days during the WEEK. Go to management, state AGAIN that I can only do weekends. Sorry, sorry ... We forgot. They forgot every single week and would get pissy when I stated and re-stated about weekends only. It got to the point where I went to management and politey suggested that they "let me go" and I can go elsewhere if they had a problem with my weekends only. No, no ... You're a good server and we really need all the weekend help we can get. Then stop asking me and stop scheduling me for days during the week.

I don't know if every Cracker Barrel is the same, but mine had this rule about not being able to bring a bag, purse, knapsack, etc., into the restaurant with you. If you had to bring personal items in, it had to be in a clear, see-through plastic bag. Good luck trying to find one. So, all of the servers looked absolutely ridiculous with car keys, wallets and whatever stuffed into their aprons.

And God forbid you don't push that funky Colby cheese onto every single customer. Newsflash: Not everyone likes it and not everyone feels the need to have it on their sandwich.

There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!