There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

average place to wait tables...

Former Employee - Server  in  Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - Server in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

flexible schedule
they promote from within
frequent pay rasies
some opportunities to be traveling trainer or crew trainer
NO tip outs to a bus boy, host or bartenders (because there isn't a bar)

Cons

teamwork is stressed. so stronger servers do more than weaker ones.

bills are low there, you have to make money by table turnover

since they dont' have a bar, you aren't going to be learning anything about beer, wine and liquor that would benefit you at other restaurant.

There are too many servers on the floor too often.

498 Other Employee Reviews for Cracker Barrel (View Most Recent)

Not a good job if your a hostess

Current Employee - Hostess  in  Cicero, NY
    Current Employee - Hostess in Cicero, NY

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

Pros

- The benefits package

- Not that long of an orientation

- They hire you quick

- A few managers are very nice.

Cons

- For a hostess the pay is only 7.50 an hour, which isn't that great for all the stress and being yelled at by others that you put up with. Other make at least a dollar more than you an hour beside the severs who do make very good tips.

- I was lied too about the number of hours I would be working. I was told 20 to 25 hours a week and for the 3 weeks i stayed the most I got was 15 the other two weeks I got 10 and then 11 hours. When I spoke up about it I was told 'no one ever promised you that'.

- I was yelled at my second day for not knowing my job. I trained maybe an hour the day before and I have never been a hostess before so of course I did not know my job. Instead of yelling they should of showed me the right way.

- You end up doing other people's jobs.

-You hardly get a break, which is why they are paid.

-A lot of people get cut early if it's not busy and told to come back later and you do not get paid for the hours you are cut.

my advice would be if you want to keep hostess pay them better and don't yell at them. Give people the hours that you promised them in the interview. And train your hostess during non busy hours so no one is stressed.

If you like being in day care, work at Cracker Barrel.

Current Employee - Server  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

Pros

It is always busy on weekends. Managers do try to accommodate schedules. Comfortable cozy atmosphere.

Cons

They over-staff servers all the time, resulting in not enough tables per server. Managers also play favoritism to alot of the servers, giving them the more lucrative section of tables - continuously. Alot of money could be made if more tables were given to each server. Also - managers constantly YELL in the kitchen, causing chaos. They are always yelling for servers to get their orders in the computer so that they can meet some sort of sales quota - for their own benefit only.

Stop micro managing your staff and stand behind your staff instead of constantly looking for the bad in them.

There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!