There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

Always sending someone home early leaving you short staffed.

Former Employee - Server in Grove City, OH
Former Employee - Server in Grove City, OH

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, offers full time employees benefits, not so hard to request days off or vacation time.

Cons

Must work average of 32 hr week to qualify for insurance and even if you've been there for years, they will send you home often resulting in loosing insurance. Locks up things like maple syrup, honey, chemicals, and you have to find manager to get needed items. Makes you carry clear plastic purses so they can make sure you are not taking steaks. Locks the door after closing, and then holds you hostage while they lock themselves in office to count drawers getting angry if you sit on clock until they allow you to leave. Gives you endless side work and daily cleaning responsibilities, but makes you clock out on time when you try to finish them all. And if they send you home early, your unfinished work gets left for remaining employee. If there is a party of 10 but 5 are kids or babies, you still have to split the table with another server. No matter what!

Advice to Management

This is my advice to any person thinking on becoming a manager. You will never have any kind of job security , not one of you lasted at the same store more than one year. They will wait until you buy a house near your new store, put your kids in school and than transfer you for no reason. And if it is policy to look through employee's purses, make them open up their coats, before walking them out the door , then the message you are sending is "you have to be checked out because you will steal from us, even if you have been there for years, " this brings low moral, and causes resentment . I never saw a employee steal, but I saw managers steal out the back door once.

reviews filtered by
  1. It's an ok part time job

Current Employee - Retail Skill Trainer/Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Retail Skill Trainer/Sales Lead

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good training in most cases. Decent compensation.

Cons

I work retail and they can be a little ridiculous in their expectations of selling. People come there mostly to eat and then we're supposed to convince them to buy a bunch of stuff every time too. It can be frustrating when the numbers are low and there's nothing you can do but you get yelled at. The scheduling can be really frustrating too.

Cracker Barrel General Manager postion review

Current Employee - General Manager in Crossville, TN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Crossville, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money and staying power are the big draw

Cons

It is so great you will get sucked in each day you work you wont want to leave

Advice to Management

Take this job you will love it