I worked as a server part time for 8 months

Former Employee - Server in Berea, KY
Former Employee - Server in Berea, KY

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people were happy to be there -Management was flexible with scheduling and supportive of staff -Fast paced environment -Helpful training -Good tips during weekends

Cons

-Long hours can get slow and boring -Only one employee priced meal per day -You can't take home leftovers -Store is too expensive

Advice to Management

Don't let the back staff tell dirty jokes! It taints the fun, family environment for us servers when we go out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Trade your life for a $100K a year

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is there if you can operate a P&L. I was highly compensated and left a 100K job for one that pays 30k less if that tells you anything. No, I was not fired.Mediocre growth opportunities through their ACT (associate competency training) program that is designed to teach you the systems and encourages performance over tenure.

Cons

You will sign away your life, family and friends and be expected to live and breath Cracker Barrel. 70+ hour work weeks are expected from GM's. They won't state that, but it was an unwritten rule. The guests are generally decent people but the "1 out of 10" are the worst I have ever experienced in the restaurant business. They say its a scratch kitchen, it's far from it. Meatloaf in a tube anyone? The staff has unreasonable pull in regards to their employee relations program. Next to impossible to fire people without a 4 month investigation ( I exaggerate, but only slightly). They can call and "voice concern" over management at any time. It was very much like having a shotgun to your head at all times. While I never had calls on management at my location, I knew several people who did and almost lost their jobs because servers felt "pressured".

Advice to Management

Cracker Barrel has running a restaurant down to a science. The systems are solid, but the business model of running your managers into the ground will put you out of business. People refuse to work for Cracker Barrel in my community because of it's reputation. Eventually you will not have a work force.

2. Although serving jobs are not the greatest, Cracker Barrel made the monotonous work bearable.

Current Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, caring management, Flexible hours, staff is all very supportive.

Cons

LOTS of sidework. more than most restauraunt jobs, Do not sell alchohol and this keeps tips down.

Advice to Management

Consistency in the different rules would be appreciated