There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

easy job with decent pay

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

-management was very nice and helpful -easy to move up in the company -easy job

Cons

-working on Sundays -stressful at times

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Tons of opportunity for advancement and monetary gain. Corporate environment treats you like a kindergarten felon.

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of quality training or yourself, managers and staff. Good quality product you can be very proud to sell, professional customer base, excellent compensation in the right unit.

Cons

Micromanaged to the extreme, I worked here for 8 years and after I left I didn't know how to act independently. They will make you into a brainwashed drone if you are not careful. Very long hours to be successful in a high volume unit (29 days a month 12 hours a day, which they will say they don't want you to do but you better or else.) Employees and guests are treated with kid gloves to the point of creating a devilish entitlement ethos while management is treated like chopped liver. You will be under constant threat of termination while a gm with this company and at the same time they will convince you over and over that there are no other jobs to go to and your family will suffer if you leave. I achieved General Manager of the year for 2 consecutive years and during that time I was threatened and written up repeatedly. Very negative yet smile in your face corporate environment. To sum it up, always read between the fine print and look for the hidden meaning in anything from the top. After this paragraph I probably sound incredibly paranoid, all I can say is spend 8 years with cracker barrel and you will understand.

Hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that came in, I also enjoyed the retail manager as well as two of the managers that worked with me. I was a part time employee and a student at the time. Two of them were willing to understand my studies came first.

Cons

The management for where I was at was just insane. Three other managers were always covering and trying to make things work while one was just being a jerk. I was never given the amount of time I needed to handle my work and schedules were always thrown on me. When I'd run down because of school and work and get sick, they'd wonder what was wrong. I had told them I had specific hours- and they lost my hours. So when I input them again, they ignored them. All in all be careful...

Advice to Management

In the Central Park area, Keith, Scott, Tracie and Michelle were wonderful. They are wonderful people to work with. But sadly my husband will never allow me to work at a retail area again due to the complications and problems other staff members caused- and were not reprimanded for. As a hostess my job was to take people to tables and clean, I wound up doing everyone's job. In fact all the hostesses wind up doing that. Even the 5 stars.