Cracker Barrel

There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Rising Star/Par I Server in Meadville, PA
Former Employee - Rising Star/Par I Server in Meadville, PA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upward mobility, star program, ability to move to new areas.

Cons

I was only scheduled for evening shifts and always had the back room. When I asked a manager to be moved around, I was still set to work in only one location or moved for one night. I had previous restaurant experience yet was still treated as though I had no ability or skills.

Move people around more, get to know the new members of the team sooner to reduce employee turnover.

574 Other Employee Reviews for Cracker Barrel (View Most Recent)

Frustrating

Former Employee - Cashier in Jensen Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Jensen Beach, FL

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much, was only tolerable when lines were short which didn't happen too often. As a cashier, if you're lucky you get to occasionally go straighten up merchandise or possibly don't have to clean bathrooms that day (but you might have to).

Cons

tight spaces, long lines to deal with alone, bosses with attitudes, cleaning bathrooms, irritating repetitive music, responsible for register shortages, having to answer phone while checking people out. The job was overall frustrating and I could only stand it for several months

Don't make the cashier do everything, and don't make them responsible for shortages (makes the job a lot more scary), have more cashiers, pay better

One of the worst experiences in 30+ years of food service

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Pell City, AL
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Pell City, AL

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the mid level mangers understand their employees are people and treat them with respect. Training coordinators are very good.

Cons

General managers in some these restaurants can be very difficult.
    No cohesiveness between shifts.
    Difficult workload made worse by hour cutting on previous shifts.
    Lots of burned out employees and some managers.
    District managers never ask employees anything, creating even more of a disconnect between the "big dogs" and the "little dogs."
    Kitchen training isn't cohesive with all employees.
    Most positions are only part time.

If you have a good employee, i. e. always shows up on time, works each and every shift, takes their their job seriously, it's really not necessary to belittle then at every opportunity.
    Stop yelling at employees, this isn't the Army.
    Hard work should be its own reward for the employee and the company. The way this company is structured there is no reward for being a conscientious employee.
    Management shouldn't be so 'hour cutting happy' so they'll get their bonus to the detriment of the restaurant and shift workers that come after the ones who were sent home early.
    If there's drama in the kitchen, be fair and realize who the instigator is and act accordingly when issues first arise.
    If an employee asks a question, take a minute to listen and respond face to face instead of acting irritated and answering with an attitude as you walk away.
    Cleaning standards and food safety leave a lot to be desired.

There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel