The New Initiatives Are Ruining The House That Gordon Built!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crate & Barrel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great discount for some awesome furniture and household goods. Some amazing employee's work there.....well, what is left of them anyway.

Cons

The company use to have values and truly cared about their employee's. It felt like you were a part of this great family that really cared about you and in return, you gave them your all and had die hard loyalty for them. Over the years I worked there, things slowly got worse and worse. There was a time when everyone's individuality was an asset. It was a place where everyone was allowed to be themselves. Then it starting feeling like I was in high school all over again. The cool kids (a.k.a the management) were one big clique. Crate started becoming like all the other retailers out there. It became about promoting your buddies and going behind closed doors to make fun of all the other people because they were not cool like you.

When the economy took a down turn it became an excuse to behave any way management wanted. People no longer felt valued. Raises were even taken away for one year. In the beginning you usually got a bout a $ .40 to $ .50 raise per review and you had 2 reviews a year. Then they went to one review a year and you were lucky if you got a quarter. Management started to drive their employee's away and tried to do so if you were not part of that clique I mentioned. The only people being promoted were those that kissed butt. If you were and individual that had an opinion they did not want to hear them. I have seen some of the best people I have ever worked with getting blacklisted by management after the puppet master (area manager) deemed them as unworthy.
Manager's that had such awesome potential to do great things were turned into nothing but a puppet. When stores were relocating to a new location, they basically told the majority of us full timers that they were not gonna do full time anymore and were forced to either quit or go to part time. Some of which were going on twenty years. They were given a severance package that was not all that great and were either sent on their way or bumped down to part time and were forced to take pay cuts as well. The employee's were also forced to buy all new wardrobes that consisted of only black, grey, or white. Then a couple months later they were like...oh we are not gonna do that anymore causing all of us to waste our hard earned money. This once great company is being ruined by all this new initiatives. The old saying if it isn't broke, don't fix it really applies here. I understand that companies need to change with the times, but forcing all your employees with the knowledge of the product and the know how to sell it is not really the way to go. The great Crate culture that made this company what is was in now dead. Stick a fork in it. It's done. With this change I would expect that the customers that loved the service they received at Crate will leave with the employee's because of their disappointment in the service they will receive. All these tactics to save a buck in the now will come back to get them.

Treat your employee's like they matter. Fight for them and for what is right. If all this is so obvious to us, it has to be obvious to you as well. If you are not in the meetings fighting for your employee's, don't be shocked when nobody is there to back you up! You don't worry about everyone leaving now because everyone is replaceable but one day someone will be replacing you as well.

Other Reviews for Crate & Barrel

Management & Upper Management Experiences

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

I worked at Crate & Barrel part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Store Managers and assistant managers are the nicest, most helpful people you will find. I have never had better experiences with a boss.

Cons

Although in-store managers were great, the same can not be said about the district managers who occasionally come into the store. You get looked down upon and treated like you are not as good as them.

great co-workers...job situation less than ideal

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Crate & Barrel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the most talented co-workers to work with.
    Good discounts on product.

Cons

Management
    Under staffing
    No support for employees who do a great job, with limited resources
    Promotions based on favoritism, if the manager thinks you fit their vision you get promoted, when it's obvious they aren't qualified for the position.

There are newer employer reviews for Crate & Barrel.

Worked for Crate & Barrel? Contribute to the Community!