Crate and Barrel

There are newer employer reviews for Crate and Barrel

Required Change is Happening

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, quality product, easy customer relations. Aspirational style for most consumers. "I love this store" is heard by at least one customer almost every day. Company is trend leader with compelling history. Benefits.

Cons

Compensation trails competitors, this will become a bigger issue as more talent is needed to grow the business successfully.

Stay the course, to be competitive the organization must challenge non producers and eliminate more waste. New CEO is inspirational, believable. Get him out in the field as much as possible.

313 Other Employee Reviews for Crate and Barrel (View Most Recent)

My home away from Home

Current Employee - Store Level
    Current Employee - Store Level

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Generous Discount, Fun work environment, Friendly Co-workers, Positive Environment, Quality product with an emphasis on education and growing product knowledge

Cons

Retail hours & salary, Some management staff can be cliquey and play favorites, besides discounts and profit-sharing, there are no benefits for part-time employees.

Keep a brave face on for the sake of the company, but don't lose your staff to the corporate "words to say."

Yes, this company is going through a major overhaul. Yes, things are different. No, it's not the end of the world. Crate & Barrel needs to change to grow and remain competitive in the marketplace. Associates bad-mouthing the decisions of upper-management and corporate are the reason it has been a difficult journey. This company has been and always will be a great and respectable company to work for. I'm proud of my time put in with Crate, and have them to thank for a well-rounded and impressive resume. If you're considering applying, go for it. It changed my life for the better. It could change yours too!

Crate & Barrel needs new corporate management

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company oriented towards employee satisfaction as well as customer satisfaction. Shortened hours for retail in many locations. Profit sharing in lieu of 401K matching.

Cons

Terrible area and regional management. Transitioning away from middle management positions to a more transitory workforce. Corporate vision seems to be changing daily after a largely successful formula for over 40 years. A company in flux.

Carefully review your long time area, regional and even store managers to ensure compliance with corporate behavior and training standards. I personally watched more than one store close due to lack of communication with area and regional management and lack of corporate action re: failing locations.

There are newer employer reviews for Crate and Barrel