Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive atmoshpere. The sales associates are mostly college educated, upbeat people. Opportunities to develop expertise on the products.

Cons

Working every weekend, but that is to be expected in many retail jobs. Schedules come out for only one week at a time. Furniture sales is commission based, so can be some underhanded stuff going on between them.

Advice to Management

Be careful about picking favorites.

Other Employee Reviews for Crate and Barrel

1. Awesome experience, great work environment, very generous toward employees

Pros

Flexible work hours, positive atmosphere, great work-life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Wasteful company, but mostly enjoyable job

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've read some of the other reviews and a lot of them mentioned the pay as a con, that it is too low. However I disagree, as I feel the starting pay is fairly generous in comparison to other retail companies I have worked for. I even make more as a simple merchandising associate than I did as a manager with my last employer. I enjoy the hours of operation (at least in my store as everyone is different) in comparison as well. Overall, great people to work with, good discount (although the product is a bit too pricey for me), and there's very little stress.

Cons

I don't feel there is room for advancement, as I am a part time associate and our location has lost three full time associates, and not replaced a single one of them. Massive division between sales team and merchandising team. And under the merchandising team, there is massive division between the design aspect and the stock room aspects. Sales associates only sell, whereas the merch team is responsible for the rest of the of the business (financials, online orders, truck, design, replenishment, etc) and sales team has an equal starting pay as us. More often than not, I see the sales team standing around talking amongst themselves. There are zero benefits for part time associates, so we get worked to the ground because it's extremely difficult to afford to take time off as we will not get paid for it. The company wastes an absurd amount of money on various things. Management doesn't appear to hold people accountable.

Advice to Management

Quit wasting money. Seriously. It's incredibly frustrating to know that people aren't being offered full time positions because you're spending so much money on sales associates to stand around and do nothing! Let me throw some numbers out there: last I counted, there are 99 C&B stores worldwide, not including CB2 or Land of Nod. If you take one part time sales associate from each of those 99 stores that stands around doing nothing and pay them the starting rate in my area of $11.25/ hour, working 29 hours a week, 50 weeks out of the year (assuming they take two weeks for vacation altogether), each associate before taxes makes $16,312.50 per year. Multiply that by the 99 stores, and the company is wasting $1,614,937.50 paying those associates to stand around. $1.6 MILLION! And it has to be more than that, because I see more than one sales associate (and managers join in, too) simply standing around. Granted, yes, not everyone makes $11.25/hr, some make less, and some make more. But even at just my store, over $16K is wasted money that could be better spent.