Fun but Tiresome

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

For the most part employees and managers were great to work with - friendly and helpful. Plenty of training. Meetings on the weekends are informative. Nice welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

It can be labor intensive - those dishes and other product can get heavy. Some employees can get mad that you don't learn everything right away. Some of the work can get repetitive.

Advice to Management

Have better solutions for stocking the floor and all that product that gets wasted when it breaks (such a shame).

Other Employee Reviews for Crate and Barrel

One disappointment after another

Former Employee - Furniture Customer Service in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Furniture Customer Service in Columbus, OH

Pros

When I first started I loved, LOVED my job...Benefits are great, GLBT friendliness throughout the store, decent pay for retail, and discount is great.

Cons

Micromanaging, lack of communication to office associates, managers are nice people with NO management capabilities. Only had 1 raise in over two years for $.25 even though my reviews were spotless. I was hired as customer service but fulfilled the role as Office Manager. When I asked if I could work towards being promoted I was told if someone asked I could call myself the Office Manager but it wasn't in the budget for the promotion. Then they internally moved someone from another position in the store and gave her the Office manager title and had me train her.

Advice to Management

When I walk out of my job I am aware of the circumstances so PLEASE... do not call me, apologize (too little too late) and ask me to come back, and THEN once I accept retract the offer because of "negative feelings" throughout the store.

2. Love everything about my job

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I completely disagree with all of the negative reviews I have read regarding employment at Crate & Barrel, although I think each region and area differ greatly which may be why I feel so different. At my store (and in my area), I have found promotions from within the company to be the norm, and also easy to attain with the right attitude and work ethic. Store, area, and regional managers are fair and caring towards associates. The environment is positive and upbeat. Associates on all levels of the business work together as a team, and there is a close-knit, family environment within the store. Area and regional team members are frequently in the stores, assisting in any way that they can whether it be schleping merchandise, covering the phones, or training. When the economy took a downturn, Crate & Barrel took the necessary steps to stay afloat, and employees who are not understanding of the necessity for these changes probably don't belong at a company this progressive. Crate & Barrel refuses to stay stagnant!

Cons

I do wish that we received vision insurance, and possibly more perks associated with working at Crate & Barrel (gym discounts, etc.). Certain positions are in need of pay restructuring (i.e. Customer Service).

Advice to Management

Overall I am quite pleased with all management that I have encountered during my employment here. My only suggestion would be to increase communication within the team.