Cray Inc. great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cray

Pros

Cray was a really fun company to work for. Within the first two weeks the CEO actually sat and talked with the new hires. It's in a great location, with great people and the projects you get to work on are a lot of fun.

Cons

The pay not be as much as other companies in the tech world, but they really make up for it with the work environment they provide

Advice to Management

The manager I had was awesome, he really took time out to make sure everyone understood what was going on as well as working with everyone to accomplish our goals.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work; some process burden to overcome

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cray

Pros

Solid direction from the top. CEO is approachable, unassuming, and well versed in the business. Cray has built the fastest open science supercomputer on the planet.

Cons

Legal has to review and approve everything, often acting as a brake on progress and sales. Too many approval steps are required from people only tangentially involved in an issue.

Advice to Management

Streamline the the business processes!

2. Always interesting

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cray part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on some of the hardest computing problems in the world which means the work is always challenging and always changing. They attract some of the best and brightest engineers so there is always someone willing to share their knowledge if you find yourself needing help.

They are pretty good at flexible working offering various locations around the world, remote working, flexible hours and contracts and I have never (yet) had a problem relocating or changing my time committments. They offer ongoing professional development opportunities such as training courses and give you a lot of say in your career direction though you have to be reasonably proactive and chase them about some of this.

Management have always been approachable right up to the senior level.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business work can be sporadic with occasional deep crunches and hiatuses as system and project acceptances come and go.

Compensation is not as high as a lot of companies are paying particularly if you are based in some of the higher cost of living locations. Haven't received anything more than trivial cost of living pay rises since I was promoted from grade III to IV (which was a sizeable bump) and other colleagues have experienced the same.

While management is approachable and listens it seems like a lot of stuff falls on deaf ears and never actually gets acted upon. Some projects I've worked on have been perennially understaffed and promised new hires have never emerged and on the few occasions they have hired they've hired completely the wrong person or the person has jumped ship within a year for a better opportunity.

Organisationally the company lacks experience in some of the new market areas it is trying to expand into. Therefore while senior management are strongly committed and making large investments in those areas they don't seem to be hiring the right kind of people to execute on parts of their vision which is hampering the companies efforts. While they have made some key hires at the senior level to help them better execute on this it has yet to translate to more boots on the ground where it counts.

Advice to Management

Just because you already employ great people does not mean they are the right people to take you into a new market, more targeted hiring of people with relevant skills would substantially increase likelihood of success and in some areas has the potential to reduce time to market.

I agree with other reviews that the focus on the bottom line has become obsessive, each year they set more and more ridiculous revenue targets and while revenues are growing strongly we keep missing the targets (and thus our bonuses get slashed considerably) yet they go on to set even larger targets the following years and over time this severely dents employee moral.