Cray can be exciting but software management has poor leadership

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cray

Pros

Cutting edge hardware technology. Pride in working on the most powerful computers on Earth. The ability to make a difference in a small to medium size company. Bonuses for the last few years. Very American company.

Cons

Software engineering leadership is poor. Much of the software work is just integration. Projects are seriously (and continually) under resourced. Retirement benefits are way below industry standard.

We waste too much time on filling out time tracking, time cards, and status reports. It is inexcusable that there isn't an integrated solution for this instead of 3 separate interfaces.

Other Reviews for Cray

Great place for HPC work, if you don't mind changning roadmap and reorgs

Former Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cray

Pros

Lots of great communicaton between groups if you need a problem solved. Great location in the Pacific NW. Strong emphasis on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Being reorg'd from a great job to the mental equivalent of assembly line work did not make me happy.
    This also resulted in all my management chain and colleagues being in another state, making it quite clear what my chances for advancement were. Having an education reimbursement plan listed as a perk is useless if no one ever gets to benefit from it.

Management needs to stop pissing off the engineers. Management needs to stop making stupid decisions about hardware in order to increase the depth and breadth of sales. If you're going to encourage people to try to go to the next level, give them a clear path forward to do that. Don't just say "We'd really like to promote you", but don't tell them what the metrics are and don't give them any kind of mentoring support to make that happen. I might still be there if there hadn't been a dismissive attitude about what I felt my weakness were, what could be done to correct them, and what my future was with the company. I'm not the kind of person who likes to be doing the same mind-numbing job 20 years later.

Engineer at Cray

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sealy, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sealy, TX

I have been working at Cray

Pros

Pretty good benefits, important work

Cons

Red tape, micromanagement, no increase in salary, pay not competitive

EARS are the worst thing about this job.

There are newer employer reviews for Cray.

Worked for Cray? Contribute to the Community!