Cree

www.cree.com

Good work ex when you come out of college.. but NOT worth spending your 20s in a company like this!!

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Pros1) Critical management comments make you rise up to the occasion each time... that helps in polishing your skills
2) hands on experience were they expect engineers to be on the floor
3) fast management decisions that directly impact company revenue
4) benefits okay
5) In rare occasions your idea can get heard and implemented as long as it is really good!! But do NOT expect this to help you in your annual review (disclaimer)

Cons1) ZERO work-life balance
2) not a company for a person in their 20s where you need to see the world and have fun... work schedules are like 12-14hours (no extra pay)
3) Pay scales suck.. if you are an engineer or lower you get ripped apart. You are basically a personal assistant to the "scientists". Scientists get paid well and everyone below that are dispensable and dont get paid with market standards.
4) As an engineer you existence and respect is not taken care of. You get yelled at and insulted in group meetings. Makes you wonder if LEDs important or basic self respect in life!! I am a BIG supporter of LED lights but I cant compromise my life and basic well being by working for such sadists.
5) 99% of the time engineer is given the work to move batches and wafers and you need to be higher up to get actual process development opportunities.
6) too much hierarchy in the system ... and you are made to think that if you are an engineer you are above technicians/operators. I am a person who like treating people equally, and I hate to be the bad guy and be mean to techs/operators when things go bad.
7) more visibility to top management when you make a small mistake and ZERO visibility when you do a good thing
8) New engineers start career in night shift. this is the worst shift. day shift passes so many things onto you that you end up staying 12-14 hours everyday. Finally your social/family life suffers. Is this really worth it?
9) The more longer you stay in Cree, the more "powerful" you become. But trust me, you become unmarketable to the outside semiconductor industry if you are an engineer in Cree. Scientists have it different as they own all product development.
10) final line --> AIN'T WORTH SPENDING YOUR LIFE HERE!!!!

Advice to Senior Management- Be nice to your engineers at times
- UNDERSTAND that your employees are your greatest wealth and strength. Treat them well and and you will see results better and so will your share holders be happy.
- Learn the manners to be nice so that your people will work harder and be more happy to work for you
- You can pay slightly higher to the hard working engineers and save money by cutting down the CEO's lavish expenditures (esp when we hear a 20-30k $$ spending in ONE trip for flight alone)
- Allow engineers to have some development opportunity.. for God sake!!! You recruit them as "Process Development Engineer" and you make them move wafers for customer orders... what the HELL!!

Great Learning Experience.

Process Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree

Pros: Lots of work, lots to learn. Great place to start a… Cons: Work Life Balance will go out-of-whack. If you are not a… Advice to Senior Management: Please tackle the issue of compensation seriously, employees are seriously… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Overall positive experience.

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Durham, NC

I worked at Cree

Pros: Interesting place to work. Fast paced, challenging, Cons: Sometimes high pressure and challenging. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Cree.

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!