Fast Pace Firm - Not for the Weak of Heart

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager  in  Durham, NC
Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than a year

Pros

Make an impact everydayin a firm that is growing quickly. LEDs applied to Solid State Lighting (SSL) are on a rapid adaption rate and Cree is the leader for this merging industry. IIt is challenging work but exciting to know the technology of SSL is being applied worldwide and will have a major iimpact to reduce energy consumption throughout the world.

Working with smart engineers that are passionate about what they are doing. The energy level and focus from from the top management down creates a corporate culture that is positive and fast paced . One thing you know every day at Cree is you are going to more forward.

Cons

Long hours due to a work force that is spread around the world.

Continue to hire and promote new people from outside Cree and even outside the semiconductor industry. Start to add on process and infrastructure that will allow Cree to rapidly and efficiently scale as the adaption of SSL increases and Cree grows.

Other Reviews for Cree

Do not work for cree you will hate it

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time for less than a year

Pros

salary, potential opportunity, working with LEDs

Cons

no work life balance. management does not know what they are doing

listen to new ideas

Unrealized Potential

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree

Pros

1. Cree demands absolute accountability from it's employees, at least in my division. There is an overwhelming amount of talent in the company and it shows. For the most part, management keeps an open-door policy and will try to support you in meeting the goals of the business. The business is exciting and Cree has a world-class product in lighting-class LEDs. The compensation is good, especially for a young Engineer carrying some serious financial responsibility.

2. You are given no leash at all on the tools at Cree in my group. You can learn as many as you want and go as deeply as you want to. Once you learn something, you basically become responsible for it. It's an interesting system. You naturally fall into a tool.

3. I have come to call Cree a "boot camp" for Engineers. It is a very marketable resume builder because it is known for yielding world-class work ethic if you can make it through at least a year.

4. The triangle is a fantastic place to live. I particularly love Chapel Hill and Raleigh. It's swimming with young professionals who have money and like to go out.

Cons

1. Unforunately, the IT systems at Cree are not very good and information is not shared well. I find myself constructing reports that should be completely automated at least 1-2 times per day. That is the biggest downside to Cree. As a result, young Engineers must work extraordinary amounts of hours. The reviews saying you work 60 hours a week are not exaggerating. If you are new, you will live there. You will also be new for a very long time, which is why I see many people that are gone before the 2 year mark. It's basically expected.

2. Generally, 2 days off per week are allowed for salaried Engineers, but sometimes we even work on our weekends. This is the main reason for the title of my review. Cree needs to learn that people work to live, not live to work.

3. You will not get the conventional weekends as a new Engineer. Most entry level people will work Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday and work extremely odd hours.

4. Cree does not encourage other pursuits in your life or any professional development besides "on-the-job" learning.

5. Lower-level employees generally get very little credit for sometimes remarkable feats. Then, they are belittled in front of the team when things don't go well.

Learn how to treat people fairly. You are continuing to lose tremendously talented people who love your company and products and would be passionate about your business if they could lead a normal life. Fix the IT system and automate some more processes. This will allow the company to launch products faster.

There are newer employer reviews for Cree.

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!