Fast Pace Firm - Not for the Weak of Heart

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make an impact everydayin a firm that is growing quickly. LEDs applied to Solid State Lighting (SSL) are on a rapid adaption rate and Cree is the leader for this merging industry. IIt is challenging work but exciting to know the technology of SSL is being applied worldwide and will have a major iimpact to reduce energy consumption throughout the world. Working with smart engineers that are passionate about what they are doing. The energy level and focus from from the top management down creates a corporate culture that is positive and fast paced . One thing you know every day at Cree is you are going to more forward.

Cons

Long hours due to a work force that is spread around the world.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and promote new people from outside Cree and even outside the semiconductor industry. Start to add on process and infrastructure that will allow Cree to rapidly and efficiently scale as the adaption of SSL increases and Cree grows.

Other Employee Reviews for Cree

Unrealized Potential

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Durham, NC

Pros

1. Cree demands absolute accountability from it's employees, at least in my division. There is an overwhelming amount of talent in the company and it shows. For the most part, management keeps an open-door policy and will try to support you in meeting the goals of the business. The business is exciting and Cree has a world-class product in lighting-class LEDs. The compensation is good, especially for a young Engineer carrying some serious financial responsibility. 2. You are given no leash at all on the tools at Cree in my group. You can learn as many as you want and go as deeply as you want to. Once you learn something, you basically become responsible for it. It's an interesting system. You naturally fall into a tool. 3. I have come to call Cree a "boot camp" for Engineers. It is a very marketable resume builder because it is known for yielding world-class work ethic if you can make it through at least a year. 4. The triangle is a fantastic place to live. I particularly love Chapel Hill and Raleigh. It's swimming with young professionals who have money and like to go out.

Cons

1. Unforunately, the IT systems at Cree are not very good and information is not shared well. I find myself constructing reports that should be completely automated at least 1-2 times per day. That is the biggest downside to Cree. As a result, young Engineers must work extraordinary amounts of hours. The reviews saying you work 60 hours a week are not exaggerating. If you are new, you will live there. You will also be new for a very long time, which is why I see many people that are gone before the 2 year mark. It's basically expected. 2. Generally, 2 days off per week are allowed for salaried Engineers, but sometimes we even work on our weekends. This is the main reason for the title of my review. Cree needs to learn that people work to live, not live to work. 3. You will not get the conventional weekends as a new Engineer. Most entry level people will work Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday and work extremely odd hours. 4. Cree does not encourage other pursuits in your life or any professional development besides "on-the-job" learning. 5. Lower-level employees generally get very little credit for sometimes remarkable feats. Then, they are belittled in front of the team when things don't go well.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat people fairly. You are continuing to lose tremendously talented people who love your company and products and would be passionate about your business if they could lead a normal life. Fix the IT system and automate some more processes. This will allow the company to launch products faster.

Good work ex when you come out of college.. but NOT worth spending your 20s in a company like this!!

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Durham, NC

Pros

1) Critical management comments make you rise up to the occasion each time... that helps in polishing your skills 2) hands on experience were they expect engineers to be on the floor 3) fast management decisions that directly impact company revenue 4) benefits okay 5) In rare occasions your idea can get heard and implemented as long as it is really good!! But do NOT expect this to help you in your annual review (disclaimer)

Cons

1) ZERO work-life balance 2) not a company for a person in their 20s where you need to see the world and have fun... work schedules are like 12-14hours (no extra pay) 3) Pay scales suck.. if you are an engineer or lower you get ripped apart. You are basically a personal assistant to the "scientists". Scientists get paid well and everyone below that are dispensable and dont get paid with market standards. 4) As an engineer you existence and respect is not taken care of. You get yelled at and insulted in group meetings. Makes you wonder if LEDs important or basic self respect in life!! I am a BIG supporter of LED lights but I cant compromise my life and basic well being by working for such sadists. 5) 99% of the time engineer is given the work to move batches and wafers and you need to be higher up to get actual process development opportunities. 6) too much hierarchy in the system ... and you are made to think that if you are an engineer you are above technicians/operators. I am a person who like treating people equally, and I hate to be the bad guy and be mean to techs/operators when things go bad. 7) more visibility to top management when you make a small mistake and ZERO visibility when you do a good thing 8) New engineers start career in night shift. this is the worst shift. day shift passes so many things onto you that you end up staying 12-14 hours everyday. Finally your social/family life suffers. Is this really worth it? 9) The more longer you stay in Cree, the more "powerful" you become. But trust me, you become unmarketable to the outside semiconductor industry if you are an engineer in Cree. Scientists have it different as they own all product development. 10) final line --> AIN'T WORTH SPENDING YOUR LIFE HERE!!!!

Advice to Management

- Be nice to your engineers at times - UNDERSTAND that your employees are your greatest wealth and strength. Treat them well and and you will see results better and so will your share holders be happy. - Learn the manners to be nice so that your people will work harder and be more happy to work for you - You can pay slightly higher to the hard working engineers and save money by cutting down the CEO's lavish expenditures (esp when we hear a 20-30k $$ spending in ONE trip for flight alone) - Allow engineers to have some development opportunity.. for God sake!!! You recruit them as "Process Development Engineer" and you make them move wafers for customer orders... what the HELL!!