There are newer employer reviews for Cree

Better than average benefits but no allowance for a work / family balanced life.

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Durham, NC
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree

Pros

- Benefits not bad. At the salaried level stock options are offered which increased my net income this year by over 10%
- Internal and external offered opportunities exist. Cree has been hiring while other companies have been laying off.
- Cree's business and market share is definitely growing.
- Cree has very little "fat". It is very efficient and usually gets the optimal ROI from its people and equipment.
- Promotions and career advancement exist for those willing to make personal sacrifices.

Cons

- 60 hrs/week is viewed as a minimum
- The company's inclement weather policy is "we never close"; Even when there is 8" of snow on the ground.
- Time off is contingent upon upper managements mood. If they feel a department needs to make a better showing of effort (even if it is simply for the purpose of just being seen) you will be at work regardless of the day of the year. This applies to Christmas and other traditional holidays.
- Work environment is optimal only for single workaholics with no social life outside of work.
- At the salaried level, if you're in a manufacturing position, you are on call 24/7/365.
- At the wage level, 12 hour shifts are the norm and often coupled with additional mandatory 12hr work days.
- Expanded manufacturing overseas may soon decrease the size of Cree's domestic work force.

None to offer. Cree's culture is set by the CEO and his slogan is "whatever it takes to achieve the goal". This no holds barred approach to management gets quantifiable results. From a financial perspective (especially when unemployment is high) there is no incentive for Cree to change.

106 Other Employee Reviews for Cree (View Most Recent)

Cree is by far the best company I've ever worked for and a place where you get to literally change the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree

Pros

Cree is a very high-growth technology company that is changing the way we think about lighting. It is fast-pace with no dull moments where you have the ability to change processes every day. From my perspective, Cree has great pay and great benefits including a free onsite gym. It's located in a great location (Raleigh/Durham, NC) and the people are awesome here.

Cons

My only concern is the sudden changes we seem to go through because we don't have the best forecasting ability. We need better systems here as we continue to grow into a larger company.

Need to change our external perception that we're a sweat shop. We no longer are that, in my opinion, but the public doesn't know that.

It's ok...but only because of the economy

I have been working at Cree

Pros

The job is challenging. I like the type of work I do

Cons

There is NO balance between work and family. Cree cares about it's success as a company and whatever it takes means whatever it takes.

Allow for a more reasonable schedule. The 50-60 hours per week allow time for nothing outside of work

There are newer employer reviews for Cree

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!