Cricket Communications

www.mycricket.com
  www.mycricket.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cricket Communications

Excelent Company to work for, great benefits.

Current Employee - Senior Corp Network Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Corp Network Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Flexability, Freedom to learn and get your hands in a lot of different areas, cross train.

Cons

Lack of true direction, Sr. Managment act as if they are above you and show you very little respect.

291 Other Employee Reviews for Cricket Communications (View Most Recent)

They try to do too much with too few people

Former Employee - Field Support Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Field Support Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, good quality engineers and co workers. Work with lots of different technology

Cons

Too few people for the amount of work given. Senior management not in touch with real world issues. Expected work levels and hours burn people out quickly.

Keep or hire more people to get projects done. Things suffer and get ignored because there are too many fires and there are too many fires because things get ignored. Quit trying to milk every last ounce of energy out of every employee.

Stay away.. stay very far away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The co-workers are friendly and there are some nice amenities, eg the cafeteria, the employee gym. And I'm also pleased to have been laid off from a company that I came into with high hopes that were rapidly dashed to the ground.

Cons

This is frankly one of the worst companies I've ever worked for in my long career. The Board and senior management are clueless about guiding a corporation, just take a look at the plummeting stock price over the last few years as evidence. As for middle management they're equally clueless, for the most part directors and managers that can't stand the company and have been with it for some years, but don't have sufficient skills to go elsewhere because of a lack of academic education and/or outside experience on their part. They learned "on-the-job" and are stuck at Cricket because no one else will have them due to that lack. New employees receive no guidance from management, at least I didn't from my director. It was pretty much, "go talk to people and figure out what you should do." On the few occasions I received any direction at all it typically changed after a couple of weeks. When I would ask why, the excuse was always, "it's just the Cricket way." Strangely enough, as a manager I had no employees reporting to me. None, not even contractors. Yet I was held accountable for hours of contractors reporting to other managers. Weird, definitely weird. As I manager, I'm accustomed to holding staff meetings as well as one-on-one meetings with my direct reports. But with these contractors who worked under other managers.. nope, not allowed, there's no way they could charge for that kind of overhead. Seriously, really? I can't even talk with the contractors who are performing the work for which I'm supposedly responsible? So without clear and consistent direction from my director, with no direct reports, and an inability to meet with contractors who don't report to me.. how on earth could I expected to perform as a manager? Why did you even hire me to begin with? My layoff from Cricket was a blessing in disguise.

Go have some 1-on-1 talks with the rank and file to hear what they have to say. Not the "town hall" meetings, everyone knows that's just for show so it appears you're listening. I mean really talk, really listen to employees and don't just pretend that you are.

There are newer employer reviews for Cricket Communications