There are newer employer reviews for Cricket Communications

Great place to work with great people

Former Employee - Indirect Service Specialist in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Indirect Service Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The camaraderie was great. Most of my co-workers were genuinely good people. Pay was decent and the job was not difficult and was very fun.

Cons

I don't feel the company truly cared about their indirect partners and seemed to play favorites with the bigger dealers. I also feel the company made poor decisions regarding inventory.

Advice to Management

Get the inventory situation straightened out. Also be fair with indirect partners, give them a reasonable compensation.

reviews filtered by

When is this company going to sell themselves to real professionals?

Current Employee - Lead Retail Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Retail Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From what I've seen, it's nearly impossible for low performers and borderline psychopaths to get fired (that's a whole other story). There is technically potential for for a good paycheck...

Cons

... but with the restructuring of the bonus payout coupled by impossible goals that seem to be made out of thin air, its nearly impossible to keep up with rent. The promise (lie) was $47,000 yearly. Sadly, I'm barely clearing $27,000.

Advice to Management

Cutting the pay of the people who generate your profits to satisfy the share-holders is only setting yourself up for failure. If you want to cut real fluff, focus on the admin offices. Every time I go to the Houston admin office, it seems like a party in there... Did you cut their pay? I didn't think so...

Stay away.. stay very far away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are friendly and there are some nice amenities, eg the cafeteria, the employee gym. And I'm also pleased to have been laid off from a company that I came into with high hopes that were rapidly dashed to the ground.

Cons

This is frankly one of the worst companies I've ever worked for in my long career. The Board and senior management are clueless about guiding a corporation, just take a look at the plummeting stock price over the last few years as evidence. As for middle management they're equally clueless, for the most part directors and managers that can't stand the company and have been with it for some years, but don't have sufficient skills to go elsewhere because of a lack of academic education and/or outside experience on their part. They learned "on-the-job" and are stuck at Cricket because no one else will have them due to that lack. New employees receive no guidance from management, at least I didn't from my director. It was pretty much, "go talk to people and figure out what you should do." On the few occasions I received any direction at all it typically changed after a couple of weeks. When I would ask why, the excuse was always, "it's just the Cricket way." Strangely enough, as a manager I had no employees reporting to me. None, not even contractors. Yet I was held accountable for hours of contractors reporting to other managers. Weird, definitely weird. As I manager, I'm accustomed to holding staff meetings as well as one-on-one meetings with my direct reports. But with these contractors who worked under other managers.. nope, not allowed, there's no way they could charge for that kind of overhead. Seriously, really? I can't even talk with the contractors who are performing the work for which I'm supposedly responsible? So without clear and consistent direction from my director, with no direct reports, and an inability to meet with contractors who don't report to me.. how on earth could I expected to perform as a manager? Why did you even hire me to begin with? My layoff from Cricket was a blessing in disguise.

Advice to Management

Go have some 1-on-1 talks with the rank and file to hear what they have to say. Not the "town hall" meetings, everyone knows that's just for show so it appears you're listening. I mean really talk, really listen to employees and don't just pretend that you are.