Criteo

www.criteo.com
  www.criteo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Criteo

Sales/Account Management

I have been working at Criteo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product and technology. I've never been working with such talented people and this really makes a big difference

Cons

There can be a big difference in compensation for 2 employees at the same position. People talk so that does create tensions.

Some employees have been there for a long time and it doesn't feel like they are treated accordingly. I'm mainly talking about the equity and compensation. This does not make people want to stay too long in the company as they don't see such a great reward in staying.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Criteo (View Most Recent)

Don't be lured by their product and reputation. Poorest management and HR.

I worked at Criteo full-time

Pros

Product is great and has a strong reputation on European markets.
    Good international expansion and momentum as a company.

Cons

(SMB Department only)

Management is awful. Low-profile mid-managers, inefficient and heavy processes that leave no room for flexibility, creativity, innovation. "Go-getter" attitude and proposing new ideas are seen more as a risk than as the right thing to do: you always have to bear in mind that appearing smarter than your boss will make him/her feel endangered and thus may hinder you from moving forward in your career. Managers rarely congratulate you, and emphasize on criticizing instead.
    There's a relation of fear to your boss and to hierarchy in general at Criteo. Managers are afraid of their manager(s), which makes communication and decision making very centralized in this department.

Things are written in stone like nowhere else. Employees are asked to stick to their prerogative, to do no less, no more than their scope: this is called Fordism. SMB execs always brag about Criteo being a startup, but it couldn't be any further.

Unfair and unethical decisions: not the best people are promoted. No transparency whatsoever on roadmap or just general department information. You barely know what future is made of (but an educated guess makes you realize that the future is elsewhere).

SMB is just a cash-machine that attracts no attention from Paris HQ at all. You don't feel important to the company. No HR, low salary and inexistant perks, you're just another brick in the wall.

Most boring office I've seen.

- Your employees are smarter than you think. Value their potential. Yes, it's on your own interest too. Get the most out of them, reduce churn, build something on a longer-term basis.
    - Question yourselves. How am I perceived by my employees ? Am I a good manager ? Do my employees feel free to tell me what they really think, or do I make them being hypocritical ? Do my employees fear me ?
    - Care about your staff, they are people, not just workers.
    - Encourage creativity, idea sharing, cross-team work, etc. Criteo has a lot more resource than the average, but use it far less than it should. Find synergies between teams, departments, offices, etc.
    - Be more transparent: product roadmaps, future as a company, etc.
    - Create a real office culture. Give them more than just a chair and a desk and they will like meeting each other, discussing ideas instead of complaining all the time. Inspire them.

Expand Your Job Search

Former Employee - SMB in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SMB in London, England (UK)

I worked at Criteo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company with a great reputation, product and growth

Cons

Bad Management of staff – Especially in the SMB team

You will be promised progression, and that if you have any ideas on how to improve a growing company to please bring suggestions to your weekly 1-2-1 meeting / interrogation.
    The reality is that you will be stuck in whatever role they give you. Some roles even within the same team will favour some and hugely disadvantage others.

While the staff that are being recruited are mostly great and intelligent people, the atmosphere that is created by the managers and middle managers, creates fear among staff and even backstabbing and misdirection by the more senior staff in order to make sure that they stay ahead of new starters.

Making any suggestions of improvement and equality are taken as a challenge to set systems and structures already in place that are obviously in need of changing as the company and teams grow.

Main topics of discussions ‘at the watercooler’ are mainly about how unhappy people are and when they will be leaving.
    I feel so sorry for those that have battled against all of this in hope of an internal promotion, only to find that they will recruit someone external (Usually form Yahoo) to come in and cause more disruption and create more systems that that will obviously fail.

The best part is, that when all of these doomed systems fail, they use a member of their staff / teams as scapegoat to cover up their own shortcomings.

The worst experience of my career, and a waste of a year.

Grow and nurture the talent that you have. They are all good enough to have leadership roles. People are not numbers, they are what make a company great!

There are newer employer reviews for Criteo