Talented People, Agency Capable of More

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

Really good clients, some super talented people, nice people, Calgary is ridiculously cold so it is nice to be able to work for the company in other cities, some projects are very exciting, overall management is good, although my manager was a world class douche. Some reviews say hours are crazy but I've worked at various agencies and CM's hours are nothing compared to much of the industry. Definitely some very long hours at times but nothing consistently crazy.

Cons

Lack of big ideas, big thinking, not enough of a creative agency. Much of leadership aspires to more but it seems to fall a part at some part in the process. Unfortunately I think the agency cannot attract the required talent to Calgary to change this.

Advice to Management

Don't give up on becoming more of a creative big idea agency. CM started and grew utilizing talented designers because that's what drove digital work in the late 90s but the agency has grown and the world has changed and it'd be nice to see CM creating bigger and better ideas, not just pretty web sites. I think CM can get there but management needs to fight for it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great For Entry Level

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

If you are just trying to get your foot into the door in the online space this is a great place to do it.
    The salaries are fine for the jobs.
    The culture is weird in that by 5:30 the office is -empty-. I've never seen a digital agency where everyone fled so quickly.

Cons

Honestly, the people you are working with are kind of idiots. Everyone I met was eager to jump ship during the 18 months I worked there. The programmers are overworked (and are frankly too skilled for the sweat shop conditions they are given), the designers are good but not great, and everyone else is just...a worthless parasite.
    it is an office filled with marketers that go around calling other marketers douche bags (without realizing they belong in that same category) .

Advice to Management

You have created an interesting business. People pay you a boatload of money for moderately interesting web experiences. There will ALWAYS be a place for that...so why change a thing?

Good tactical digital agency, but you'll be limited

I worked at Critical Mass

Pros

Great culture of recognition and transparency.
    Very "Canadian" agency--the people are nice and they like to drink.
    Good place to get your hands dirty building stuff that works.
    Pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

You have to fight for a seat at the big kids' table with lead creative agencies.
    Strategy is not taken seriously. This is not a good place for planners unless your definition of planning is "wireframes and usability testing. (Leadership within the discipline is trying hard to build it out and professionalize it, but clients don't want to pay for planning. They just want their websites built, and agency leadership is happy to oblige.)
    Uneven project managers--some are awesome, some are unprofessional.
    The agency talks about creating "extraordinary experiences." The creative is decent, but it's not extraordinary. You're making websites.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it seems to be working for you. There's a good living to be made building websites.